+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Turntable mats, the good, the crap and the overpriced.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    I see mentioned the Origin Live Upgrade Mat, this thing costs as good as £40 and is just a thin mat of cork dyed black.

Snake oil ?

I would think so.
    If you had a hold of one you’d realise it definitely isn’t cork, if it was cork in that thickness it wouldn’t last 2 minutes. Yes £40 seems a lot but you do get a full refund guaranteed so you can try it first, if you think it’s not beneficial send it back, I for one found it to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Peter.

Default To Mat or not to mat...

There are so many mats it seems...
    I'd been using an SRM 2mm silicon mat for last few years on my DD40, that suits it well and minimal static

I'm currently trying out the MCRU supports that negate the mat completely by lifting the vinyl off the platter...

So far I'd say nice open sound but a bit light on bass.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    If you had a hold of one you’d realise it definitely isn’t cork, if it was cork in that thickness it wouldn’t last 2 minutes. Yes £40 seems a lot but you do get a full refund guaranteed so you can try it first, if you think it’s not beneficial send it back, I for one found it to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have one here and the edge got torn, looks like cork to me, even the pattern you can see in it looks like compressed cork.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Andre.

Mats in general have to be high up in the top ten snake oil products..

I'm neil.

I thought the Title of the thread was referring to my record collection

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by enrae8 View Post
    I thought the Title of the thread was referring to my record collection

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Pete.

I recently replaced the old (standard Linn) felt mat on my LP12 with an Airbourne cork mat costing just under £14 from https://www.normanrecords.com/record...iABEgLlB_D_BwE

The Wife (importantly), 2 friends, a son and myself all thought the sound was improved by this change - better defined bass and a little more clarity through mid and treble.

A relatively inexpensive tweak that works well with my LP12/Ittok LVII/Kiseki Blue Gold Spot but, of course, may not suit other TTs.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    I have one here and the edge got torn, looks like cork to me, even the pattern you can see in it looks like compressed cork.
    Not sure what you have but my OL mat is 100% not cork. Looks more like impregnated felt. And it works better than any other mat I’ve tried. Well worth the money.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Not sure what you have but my OL mat is 100% not cork. Looks more like impregnated felt. And it works better than any other mat I’ve tried. Well worth the money.
    In total agreement, it’s deffo not cork, if I remember correctly reading OLs own info it is made fro a composite material whose composition they are keeping quiet about, I also have found it gives excellent results with various platter compositions, only reason I don’t use it on my Rega is because it’s so much thinner than the standard mat and would warrant shimming the cartridge to get the vta correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Andrew.

Tried many many mats. My two main decks, my 301 and 1210 have had many mat variations. The 301 now sports a Tenuto which disposed the old garrard 301 mat. The garrard 301 mat fended off many challengers before it was usurped. The technics sports a crystal audio mat, I've not heard anything better yet.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast