+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntable mats, the good, the crap and the overpriced.

I'm Andre.

Art sent me a pre production Achro. Nice of him but i didint like it,

I'm Matt.

The Collaro mat seems to be getting a lot of fans.
    It seems like a decent product, but having heard a very good quality TT with it/ without it, I can’t honestly say I heard much difference.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Manicatel View Post
    The Collaro mat seems to be getting a lot of fans.
    It seems like a decent product, but having heard a very good quality TT with it/ without it, I can’t honestly say I heard much difference.
    I used to have a Collaro 2020 idler drive TT, so was surprised to see the Collaro name still in use, albeit by new owners.

I've dabbled in the past with various TT mats: felt (thick and thin); cork; glass and leather But none lasted long; preferring in all cases to simply use the original rubber mat of my TD124/IIs (and using the Mitchell spindle clamp).
    Barry

I'm Robert.

Same experience as most of the guys here and I've said many times before - tried untold different mats, including exotic, expensive, hard, soft, lost count of the different types. Always found the stock mat rubber mat to be the one that sounded right over them all.

Some mats killed the music, like a quilt over the speakers, some tilted the frequencies one way or the other, some introduced an unnatural 'clarity' / sheen and so on.

Either way, they all tended to change things in a way I just didn't like - I don't do things that add a flavour or signature of their own, to an extent that changes the overall presentation and to my ears, gets in the way of the music and that audio 'rightness'
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Chris.

After tinkering with a few different mats a few years ago and finding that there could be a difference from mat to mat
    I suddenly realised what is/could be happening. Mats tried where of varying thickness, therefore when used the VTA
    was being changed, so when trying different mats what I feel should be done is to reset the VTA each time to allow
    for mat thickness, just a thought.
    Last edited by Cas; 14-03-2020 at 16:15.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Andre.

Aye cos mats are generally 3-6mm thickness in some cases, so to think a SRA difference of up to 3mm could easily change the tone of sound.

I'm Robert.

Yep, you absolutely have to change vta and carefully dial in again otherwise your wasting your time (and money)
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    I bought one of these ages ago. Hell make one to spec size if you ask

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/cherry-au...p2047675.l2562
    Those platters look extremely good vfm, the only thing that worries me is that it’s about 1kg lighter than the glass platter on my Planar 3, I wonder if the reduced flywheel effect would have an adverse effect on Wow & Flutter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Andre.

Its the mat i bought steve not the platter

I'm paul.

Copper mat on my DP80 I get no static issues and sounds more focused ( as some might say ) and far better IMO than the DP80 rubber mat . I use a weight with it to stop any slip while cleaning records with a velvet pad.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast