+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntable mats, the good, the crap and the overpriced.

I'm Mike.

Default Turntable mats, the good, the crap and the overpriced.

I use a spacemat on my NAS interspace TT, it's so flimsy it comes off at least half the time I change records, I guess a mixture of its weight - very light and static. Do I go matless as directed by those at NAS, or rega style felt mat, some thicker rubber concoction, or 'high end' ridiculously over priced copper frisbee?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm steve.

If the manufacturer says don’t use a mat then that’s got to be the best bet, certainly solves the problem of a mat sticking to records.
    I’ve tried several different mats on my Planar 3, they all make a difference but the question is which gives the “right” sound. Likewise using a clamp or puck/weight can make a difference but you’d need “golden ears” to hear it. After a couple of years of experimentation I’ve gone back to the standard Rega wool mat although I do use a Michell clamp, mainly to deal with some dished pressings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Andre.

I bought one of these ages ago. Hell make one to spec size if you ask

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/cherry-au...p2047675.l2562

I'm Paul.

Hi

I tried quite a few of the "In Thing" turntable mats on my Thorens, Acrylic, Felt, Leather, Cork, Cork & Neoprene, Neoprene and Resin

Most made no difference to the sound, most increased the amount of static when the record was lifted after playing, with the cork & Neoprene being the worse.

I ended going back to the stock Thorens one.

Still the shiny acrylic one did make a good disc for setting the anti skate
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Philip.

Never understood "hard " mats , copper , acrylic ect . Surely the idea is for the record to have as much traction as possible rather than slide on a hard surface .

I've tried all sorts and always come back to rubber , normally the one the manufacturer supplied with the deck .

I'm Andre.

Same here Philip, always end up with the original Rubber mat.

With Rega decks in particular i found the old hard Rubber one that was also on the early 'LP12' to be best.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...images/866387/

I'm Mike.

Can't believe what folk will pay for a Tenuto mat, just cos they're copper, which only has a material value of about £20, similar with Audio note and their silver and gold wiring, snake oil, and very expensive snake oil.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Andre.

Wouldnt need copper if they didnt use a deck with a big engine right under the cart

Buy a proper deck i say
    Last edited by Made in 1968; 12-03-2020 at 20:12.

I'm Mike.

I use 2 in combo with each other, at 1mm neoprene topped with a 3mm cork nitride rubber, I use it on my Rega, it sounds great and I never have static issues, my other deck is a Project and I don’t use a mat on it “yet” on that deck I have no end of static build up

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Mike.

The 5mm Achromat has been the best on most of my decks, including the current one.

The Tenuto, though, did make an obvious improvement to my SP-10, and is definitely the mat to use on the Techy.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast