+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Turntable mats, the good, the crap and the overpriced.

I'm Hugo.

The only aftermarket mat that I have used, which pretty much always results in a better and more pleasing sound, is the Funk Achromat. One exception is my Thorens TD-124 where the original 60s hard (and ribbed) rubber mat is clearly best, at least to my ears. The simple truth here is that different mats alter the acoustic impedance interface between LP and platter, and that alone will change the sound character - whether for better or worse is a personal judgement so, as ever, YMMV.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Can't believe what folk will pay for a Tenuto mat, just cos they're copper, which only has a material value of about £20, similar with Audio note and their silver and gold wiring, snake oil, and very expensive snake oil.
    The copper mat is over priced agreed, its not like an Oyaide mat that had lovely machining and a gentle tapper to help with warps. I could see the money with those but not the copper ones, had one briefly bought of here but it was warped, so sent it back. That is its own story.....

Re silver cabling and Audio Note, not snake oil, having heard and owned some ANS, ANV.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Audio View Post
    The only aftermarket mat that I have used, which pretty much always results in a better and more pleasing sound, is the Funk Achromat. One exception is my Thorens TD-124 where the original 60s hard (and ribbed) rubber mat is clearly best, at least to my ears. The simple truth here is that different mats alter the acoustic impedance interface between LP and platter, and that alone will change the sound character - whether for better or worse is a personal judgement so, as ever, YMMV.
    The Funk mat does work nicely on many turntables.
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

One exception is my Thorens TD-124 where the original 60s hard (and ribbed) rubber mat is clearly best, at least to my ears. The simple truth here is that different mats alter the acoustic impedance interface between LP and platter, and that alone will change the sound character - whether for better or worse is a personal judgement so, as ever, YMMV.
    Agreed. I tried different aftermarket mats on my Thorens TD124/IIs and ultimately ended up preferring the original rubber mat. I do use a Mitchell clamp which I think helps.
    Barry

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Agreed. I tried different aftermarket mats on my Thorens TD124/IIs and ultimately ended up preferring the original rubber mat. I do use a Mitchell clamp which I think helps.
    I thought the Gunmetal mat gave a nice snap to the sound on the Thorens TD124/II.
    I do sometimes go back to the original mat but always seem to end up back on the Puresound Tenuto Gunmetal jobbie,
    it also looks the nuts..
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    I thought the Gunmetal mat gave a nice snap to the sound on the Thorens TD124/II.
    I do sometimes go back to the original mat but always seem to end up back on the Puresound Tenuto Gunmetal jobbie,
    it also looks the nuts..
    Is that placed directly on the main platter, or on the top platter?

I'm jamie.

i use my one directly on the platter if that helps.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Adam.

Is that placed directly on the main platter, or on the top platter?
    Hi Hugo
    no I take the top platter off and the Tenuto goes directly onto of the bottom platter
    I did want to give a thin silicone mat between the 2 platters a go but never got round to it and am happy...atm!

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    it also looks the nuts..
    I have never tried a metal mat (of any description), and would be interested in trying one. However they are expensive to buy and I'm not interested in 'tinkering' with my TTs, plinths, arms etc. much these days.

If I was still working, I would be able to have a metal mat machined for me for little cost (though gunmetal might have been difficult).
    Barry

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I have never tried a metal mat (of any description), and would be interested in trying one. However they are expensive to buy and I'm not interested in 'tinkering' with my TTs, plinths, arms etc. much these days.

If I was still working, I would be able to have a metal mat machined for me for little cost (though gunmetal might have been difficult).

When this nightmare we're are all in is over, you are welcome to loan Mine for a play.
    Last edited by WESTLOWER; 19-03-2020 at 13:12.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast