+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Pi / Computer Based Audio Questions

I'm Russell.

Default More Pi / Computer Based Audio Questions

So I think I now have the Pi up and running as it should on Roon (see my other thread...) and really starting to enjoy what Roon can do.

As I have a Tidal HiFi subscription, I'm keen to trial the MQA facility and have gotten my hands on a Pro-Ject S2 Digital Pre-Amp DAC which unfolds Masters quality files.

The bad news is that I've learnt this facility is only available via the USB inout of the DAC and not Coax / SPDIF or Optical.

Question is how do I get audio output via USB on my Pi (Hifiberry Digi +) as I can only see SPDIF / Optical outputs on this or can't I?

If not, are there Pi sound cards with USB audio out that I can sue or do I need to use a PC / Mac?

Thanks.

I'm Pavel.

You have to connect the Pro-Ject to one of the USB ports on the Pi.

I'm Alastair.

You need to take the USB directly from the RPI. The Digi+ only provides a coax interface for the RPI. It's worth spending a bit on a decent USB cable because, as I discovered, they do make a difference, and eventually a reclocker if your budget will stretch that far. There are several threads on TAS on USB cables and reclockers.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Russell.

Thanks, that's what I thought but I can't get any audio signal out of my Pi's 4 USB sockets at all, hence the question?

I don't have the Pro-Ject DAC yet but it won't work with my Chord Mojo anyway.

Do I need to adjust any settings in my Pi?
    Last edited by Weeman1973; 11-03-2020 at 08:43.

I'm Russell.

This is a screenshot of the signal path on Roon.

It’s showing as still going through the HiFiBerry Digi + even though no cables are coming from the Digi + to any DAC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Alastair.

You will only get sound out of it if it is connected to a USB capable DAC. I don't know Roon, but you might have to change settings to do so.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Grant.

did you tell the pi os that you no longer use the digi board and switch off the is2 switch
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Russell.

A reboot of Volumio on the Pi seems to have worked. Roon is now finding my Mojo through USB - hope it does the same when the Pro_ject arrives....

No doubt will have more questions about how to get the Pro-Ject working with MQA material - watch this space....

I'm Russell.

So the Pro-Ject DAC arrived and I installed it into the system.

Initial findings are positive with the added benefit of playing MQA files to boot.

Looking forward to playing more at the weekend.....

I'm Grant.

good stuff
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast