+ Reply to Thread
Page 559 of 991 FirstFirst ... 59459509549557558559560561569609659 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,590 of 9908

Thread: Johns Hopkins Medical Centre - World Coronavirus infection Map by Country.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The figures are relative to a five-year average, precisely to try to even out annual variations.
    Barry

I'm Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The figures are relative to a five-year average, precisely to try to even out annual variations.
    But you get what I'm saying about monthly vs annual, right? How choosing a month can be cherry picking?

Also my example was for my state, not the UK. I don't know as much about the UK.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    "RT-PCR tests to detect severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) RNA are the operational gold standard for detecting COVID-19 disease in clinical practice. RT-PCR assays in the UK have analytical sensitivity and specificity of greater than 95%"

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...453-7/fulltext

I wouldn't say 95% correct is a very high error rate.

OK I understand that not all the 74,000 + deaths in the UK which mention Covid on the certificate are solely caused by Covid 19, but even if Covid 19 is a contributory factor, it makes sense to test, take notice and behave sensibly
    The link above makes interesting reading:

“RT-PCR tests to detect severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) RNA are the operational gold standard for detecting COVID-19 disease in clinical practice. RT-PCR assays in the UK have analytical sensitivity and specificity of greater than 95%, but no single gold standard assay exists.”

Now you will note there’s a contradiction here, the word “operational” implies a “gold standard” , that is negated at the end of the paragraph, because “no gold standard exists”.

So the “operational gold standard” is a false identifier!

There is also a qualification comment later in the article.

“Any diagnostic test result should be interpreted in the context of the pretest probability of disease. For COVID-19, the pretest probability assessment includes symptoms, previous medical history of COVID-19 or presence of antibodies, any potential exposure to COVID-19, and likelihood of an alternative diagnosis.1 When low pretest probability exists, positive results should be interpreted with caution and a second specimen tested for confirmation.”

You also have to remember that items in The Lancet cannot be seen as gospel, they have had to withdraw previous articles on this subject.

The headline figure of 95% is misleading and irrelevant.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Geoff.

The quote doesn't say no gold standard exists, it's no 'single' gold standard. Read what you like into that.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

operational i think suggests best of the tests we have
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post

You also have to remember that items in The Lancet cannot be seen as gospel, they have had to withdraw previous articles on this subject.

The headline figure of 95% is misleading and irrelevant.

Gary
    https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3682
    admittedly using lancet as source

ALTERNATE SOURCE: (not related to Lancet)
    "Summary

Analytic performance of many SARS-CoV-2 diagnostic PCR tests approaches 100% at 500-5000 copies/mL; however, clinical performance of testing depends on biology and pre-analytic factors and only approaches 80% sensitivity and 98-99% specificity. Learning more about the biology of SARS-CoV-2 and optimizing pre-analytic factors should improve the clinical performance of SARS-CoV-2 diagnostic testing. If COVID-19 is suspected and testing is negative, re-testing of a clinically affected site may be indicated."

https://www.cap.org/member-resources...stic-pcr-tests
    Last edited by guy; 04-01-2021 at 10:01. Reason: ADDED "ALTERNATE SOURCE"
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Good debate going on here, guys, from both sides, so keep it up

It's important for alternative views from yours to be aired, and other information considered, which may make you look at things differently and be useful, even if it takes you out of your comfort zone or is an affront to your sensibilities, as burying your head in the sand and simply believing what you WANT to believe, or that which superficially you may find comforting or reassuring, isn't the answer and doesn't help us get to the truth!

Also, could I ask that when submitting links to information and/or evidence that appears to support your argument, that it's not simply just cherry-picking bits from articles that superficially support your stance, but that the WHOLE content of the article(s) in question is taken into consideration, including any parts elsewhere that may question the way in which you've used information, simply to make yourself look right or appear to have 'won' the argument

And that applies to folks on BOTH sides of the debate. The usefulness of this discussion (and thread) is *solely* in attempting to get to the truth/facts of the matter, NOT 'winning' arguments, by any means necessary, or simply patting those on that back who agree with you, which serve no constructive purpose whatsoever.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm guy.

Just back from (very wet and muddy) dog walk, ideal time to ruminate over this testing "debate".

This seems logical to me:

R number is over 1
    Therefore virus is infecting more people
    As a result people are dying earlier than would otherwise be the case
    Also as a result, most of England is in "tier 4", with the threat of even more restrictions being put in place

Even if testing were only 50% sensitive and specific (and I trust the scientific journals which state that it is far better).
    Then as long as people get tested, take notice of the result and behave sensibly (taking time to consider that they have a moral and social responsibility to relatives, friends and neighbours) then
    R number will fall below 1
    We will have some chance of fewer restrictions
    Fewer people will have their life shortened
    Fewer people will suffer from the awful effects of "long Covid"
    Economy will benefit (left this until last as a healthy life is more important)

I got home just in time to see a news report about yet another variant appearing in South Africa - the longer we take to recognise the danger , and insist on adopting a macho "don't give a fuck" stance, the more chance there is of even more (more threatening?) strains emerging.
    One could ascribe pandemics to the Gaia theory - self regulation of all living things keeping a balance suitable for life on the planet. In which case, there will be more to come.
    But that is a defeatist attitude
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Martin.

Added to which the Gaia Theory is bollocks.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm guy.

The mechanisms of Gaian theory are certainly not bollocks (surprised to see you write that);

just one (major) example is the balance between animals: CO2 producers, O2 consumers; being balanced by plants: CO2 consumers, O2 producers.
    Oxygen levels seem to have been fairly constant for several thousand years - ice core samples provide evidence for this.
    I don't take Gaian theory as some sort of magical balance - it is just the result (fortuitous?) of several feedback systems in operation
    Sony CDP XB930.

+ Reply to Thread