+ Reply to Thread
Page 283 of 991 FirstFirst ... 183233273281282283284285293333383783 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,830 of 9908

Thread: Johns Hopkins Medical Centre - World Coronavirus infection Map by Country.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Having worked in one I can tell you that there is no 'marinade'. There's the 'secret blend of 11 herbs and spices' thing that comes in bags mixed with the flour and breadcrumbs. You take the chicken parts (which are fresh), break them and then roll them in the flour, then they go into the deep fat fryer. No marinade involved.
    Sorry, that's what I was referring to. Marinade, 'rub' or whatever... And it contains a TON of salt! I forget exactly how much the survey I read said, but trust me it was LOTS, and so not remotely healthy! When you make southern-fried chicken yourself, there's no need for all that salt, and it's just as tasty - more so if you use the right herbs and spices!

I wouldn't recommend it from a health point of view but shows you much of this stuff is exaggerated. Like that idiotic documentary where he eats McDonalds every day and he's pretending he's being sick. And his doctor tells him after two weeks that if he carries on he's going to die. What a load of bollocks. Same bloke who did that doc about fracking that was also full of lies.
    Sure (although I never seen the programme concerned), but it's definitely not something you should be eating often, if you've got any notions of having a healthy diet. Don't get me wrong, eat what you like, when you like, but just be 100% aware of *exactly* what it is you're filling your body with.

Anyway - You could have it, say, once a week with no problems at all.
    That depends, as there are so many variables, not least of which is what constitutes as "problems", which of course will vary from person to person, and may only be revealed in the long term.

Also, it depends on what else you're eating in the course of that week, so if it's trips to the chippy, Chinese and/or curry house, combined with processed ready meals, salty snacks and cakes, and a virtual absence of fresh fruit and veg, then NO, it's not going to be good for you!

I make a point of not eating any kind of takeaway food (I enjoy fish & chips, curries and Chinese) more than once a month - everything else I eat is cooked fresh from scratch at home. Yes, of course I'm lucky to have a wife who makes it for me, but I can assure you that if I lived on my own I'd still care about having a healthy diet and wouldn't live off of junk food!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sorry, that's what I was referring to. Marinade, 'rub' or whatever... And it contains a TON of salt!.
    A marinade is specifically a liquid, that's what I meant.

No of course it isn't good for you but something not good for you once or twice a week isn't going to do you any harm. Personally I couldn't stand living my life like that, worrying about what I ate being 'bad for me.' Might as well just become a Mormon and have done with it.

Too much food fascism around these days. People should be able to eat whatever they want without someone wagging a finger at them. It's nobody's business but their own. And before someone says 'It costs the Health Service money!' -- we are all going to get sick and die one day no matter how healthy we live and when that happens it's going to cost the health service money.

And if you are so healthy you live to be 95 or something and then have to be cared for round the clock you're going to cost it a bloody fortune.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Plus we all pay our taxes, which partly goes to (allegedly) the NHS.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Plus we all pay our taxes, which partly goes to (allegedly) the NHS.
    Right. I pay a doctor to fix me if I'm sick, not to lecture about how not to get sick. That's a job they've taken upon themselves, I suppose because they think it will mean less work for them. I mean nothing wrong with giving people pointers on how to live healthy if they're so thick they can't figure it out for themselves - which is pretty much nobody.

Everyone knows they should eat healthy and exercise. The reason they don't is because they don't want to! Not because they don't understand FFS!

But it's become 'nanny knows best.' Treating grown adults like children, penalising people for making 'bad choices'. It's self-righteous, self-important bollocks. Anyone knows that if you're drinking less than your doctor then you're fine.
    Current Lash Up:

No of course it isn't good for you but something not good for you once or twice a week isn't going to do you any harm. Personally I couldn't stand living my life like that, worrying about what I ate being 'bad for me.' Might as well just become a Mormon and have done with it.
    I fully agree, but do you honestly think I do that? Fuck no.... BUT I make sure what I eat is both healthy and tastes great! You know how I live. It's simply how I was brought up and what I'm used to. Worrying about anything doesn't come into the equation! The fact is, if you're able to eat well, and healthily, then you simply don't need to seek out junk food or live off of takeaways.

Too much food fascism around these days. People should be able to eat whatever they want without someone wagging a finger at them. It's nobody's business but their own. And before someone says 'It costs the Health Service money!' -- we are all going to get sick and die one day no matter how healthy we live and when that happens it's going to cost the health service money.
    I completely agree, but I just have a bit of a 'thing' for people's obsession these days with 'fast food', filled with crap, as ably highlighted by the behaviour of those morons queuing up for KFC. Quite simply, that's not normal behaviour! The whole food culture in the UK (and elsewhere) is misguided and focussed on totally the wrong thing. BUT that's just my opinion - you don't have to agree with it.

And if you are so healthy you live to be 95 or something and then have to be cared for round the clock you're going to cost it a bloody fortune.
    Not necessarily... Again it depends on how healthy you are! Look at my dad, at 87. He lives on his own, is totally self-sufficient, still fit [looks 20 years younger than he is] and does more now than you, lol!

Chances are, unless something drastic happens, he'll be the same for some time yet. So he's costing no-one a fortune.

My granddad was the same [who lived until he was 95], along with other elderly members of my family, alive or dead - and why? Because they ate well (or still do) and looked after themselves when they were young - simples. As they say: you ARE what you eat.... And what you do in your younger years often 'pays you back' in your older age, for the better or worse. I'm a firm believer in that

And I intend to emulate my dad and granddad, by living a LONG, HEALTHY and HAPPY life. So far I'm doing ok!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

I completely agree, but I just have a bit of a 'thing' for people's obsession these days with 'fast food', filled with crap, as ably highlighted by the behaviour of those morons queuing up for KFC. Quite simply, that's not normal behaviour! The whole food culture in the UK (and elsewhere) is simply wrong and focussed on totally the wrong thing. BUT that's just my opinion - you don't have to agree with it.

I agree that queuing for an hour and half just to get Kentucky is not normal. But then we all do things that are 'not normal', we just don't do that thing.

As for the food culture I don't thing it is right or wrong it's just what it is. For every person living off of KFC and Maccie D there's someone who takes a lot of time and effort over cooking gourmet stuff for themselves. Lots of people are obsessed with cooking in this country, that's why there's so many pissing cookery shows on the telly.

I mean does it really matter? Why would we care? I mean I don't mind living in the future. I like the internet and the big tellies. But all the self-righteousness, that takes some getting used to.

The nineties were the best. The only people who felt they could pontificate then were the people not doing hard drugs at least once in a while and there was hardly any of them.
    Current Lash Up:

I agree that queuing for an hour and half just to get Kentucky is not normal. But then we all do things that are 'not normal', we just don't do that thing.
    Sure, but that doesn't detract from the point I was making.

As for the food culture I don't thing it is right or wrong it's just what it is. For every person living off of KFC and Maccie D there's someone who takes a lot of time and effort over cooking gourmet stuff for themselves. Lots of people are obsessed with cooking in this country, that's why there's so many pissing cookery shows on the telly.
    Yes it is what it is, but IMO it's wrong, as I can see the problems it causes, in many different ways.

Aside from anything else, one other such massive queue, at a Burger King, when it first opened after the lockdown, spilled out onto the main road and caused delays there. Now, if I were travelling along that road and was being held up by some dickheads going to Burger King, I wouldn't have been a happy bunny!!

Call me a considerate bastard, but I always try and ensure that my actions, whatever they are, and wherever possible, don't impact negatively on others. One thing that pisses me off even more than our 'junk food culture', are people who only care about themselves!

And do you think the folk who watch all those cookery shows, regularly put into practice what they're watching? I don't see much real evidence of that, based on the contents of most of the shopping trolleys I see at supermarkets, when they're emptied out onto conveyer belts at checkouts, or when I'm talking to others about food in a general conversation.

Sure some do, but most only watch those programmes for their entertainment value.

Jeez, it's patently obvious that many folks who dine out, even in expensive restaurants, don't really know about food [i.e. what things should actually look or taste like, based on their description on the menu], and wine comes under the same category. The reality is that they're not particularly knowledgeable or discerning; they just have the money to pay for whatever it is they're ordering!

I mean does it really matter? Why would we care? I mean I don't mind living in the future. I like the internet and the big tellies. But all the self-righteousness, that takes some getting used to.

The nineties were the best. The only people who felt they could pontificate then were the people not doing hard drugs at least once in a while and there was hardly any of them.
    Well, I guess I care about things that, IMO, matter. Whether they matter to you or not I guess is another matter

Other than getting married in 1991, I didn't particularly enjoy the 90s - and indeed don't remember much of them, as I was working like a dog, earning the money to help pay for the lifestyle I'm enjoying now!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I dislike the taste of burgers and would not use McDonald's or KFC in any case.

The only 'fast food' I eat are the occasional, good quality fish 'n chips or Chinese and then only when on holiday as a rule.
    Well, no wonder you can wear those teen skinny jeans!

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

Anyway, back on topic... Some great work being done here by BiG Brother Watch, in terms of protecting our human rights and civil liberties: https://twitter.com/BigBrotherWatch/...688243200?s=20

More info here: https://mailchi.mp/bigbrotherwatch/n...4?e=9509ffdbfa

"GOVERNMENT DITCHES CENTRALISED TRACING APP". Yeah I heard about that. HAHA - get it RIGHT UP THE CONTROLLING C*NTS!!

Keep up the good work, Silkie!

Marco [supports anything or anyone who fights against the authorities, for the important protection of their civil liberties].
    Main System

I'm Martin.

The Nineties were the last good decade. After the clock hit 2000 that was it. We sleepwalked into the New Puritanism. And it's crap in every respect.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”. C.S Lewis
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread