+ Reply to Thread
Page 518 of 991 FirstFirst ... 18418468508516517518519520528568618 ... LastLast
Results 5,171 to 5,180 of 9908

Thread: Johns Hopkins Medical Centre - World Coronavirus infection Map by Country.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Interesting, and thanks for sharing. No doubt your upbringing has given you a good grounding in life, good morals and a healthy work ethic, all of which is good

I had a rather different (pretty much middle-class) upbringing, although I hate such labels, and was a spoiled 'only child'. However, my dad was very strict, and once I was an adult (after 16, really), never gave me anything without working for it, and also taught me the value of money.

In that respect, I wasn't really spoiled in terms of material possessions, although I never wanted for anything, but rather in terms of being given attention and fussed over/worried about, especially by my mum, who was the archetypal housewife and mother/wife (her sole role until death), and the one who looked after me most while my dad was at work.

Italian families are fiercely protective of their children, especially of their safety [VERY risk averse], and so always want to know where they are, at any given time, and are very strict about what they can do and where they can go.

So unlike often with British kids, you'd never have seen me wandering around the streets at all times of night, unaccompanied. That was the main sort of area where I was 'spoiled' - that and having access to my mum's superb cooking every day, which is partly why I'm such a foodie now!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I know all that, you've told us often enough My comment about dog-born-in-stable alludes to that, so it's your observation skills that need sharpening
    Soz, haven't a clue what you're on about....

Well, then you shouldn't be surprised that I hate porridge! I hate black pudding too, but that's not exclusively Scottish, or 'chip butties' [in Italy we have a golden rule of only ever having ONE form of carb at a time on your plate].

Basically, I can't stand any kind of stodge! I like food to have a lightness of touch/some finesse, not be too heavy, but at the same time packed full of flavour

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Italian families are fiercely protective of their children, especially of their safety [VERY risk averse], and so always want to know where they are, at any given time, and are very strict about what they can do and where they can go.

So unlike often with British kids, you'd never have seen me wandering around the streets at all times of night, unaccompanied. That was the main sort of area where I was 'spoiled' - that and having access to my mum's superb cooking every day, which is partly why I'm such a foodie now!

Marco.
    I think that is more down to your "middle class" background than ethnicity - my best mate Mario and I were all over the place day and night from about the age of about ten (maybe younger, it was a long time ago). Carried on like that until we hit our teens and had a bit of a punch up. Happy days
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

Lol, arguably yes, Guy, but that's not representative of the experiences I'm alluding to. The 'posh' part of Glasgow (and street) we lived in at the time was populated by similar 'middle class' families, all of whom enjoyed a good standard of living, but I was the only one out of all my friends who (up until 16) had to be in for 9pm.

And even after that, when my dad bought me my first motorbike (well I say 'bought', but the cost was deducted from the wages I got working in his chip shop), I had to be in for 10pm, and my mum was always worried sick until she seen me coming home safe! And things were exactly the same for other Italian kids I knew back then.

Italian parents are eternal worriers!!

The other major culture difference, compared with British kids, was at meal times... During the school holidays, I'd be called in for my lunch sharp at 12 noon, and sat down for a good 2 hours (as meal times are the most important part of the day in Italian culture, and lunch was always a full 3-course affair).

And I can remember the door bell frequently going, where one of my friends would be asking if I was coming out to play football again, and my mum telling them, yes as soon as he's finished his Tiramisu!

Whereas, when they went for their lunch, they were in and out in about ten minutes....

Marco.

P.S Was Mario also an only child, like me? If not, that may also have had a bearing on matters, in terms of the freedom he was allowed.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Love the off-topicness of this thread. Think most of us have lost interest in the boring YOU-KNOW-WHAT!

It led me to buy some spinach and broccoli yesterday to improve my diet. You can get stuck in a rut.

Everybody eats better than the British. And we have lost the art of sitting down together for lunch and dinner.

The weekend has been killed off to in favour of 24-7 working.

We used to have great food in Southern France. Always coffee and fresh baguette for breakfast. The morning trip to the bakery was part of the routine. "Bonjour Mesdames, Messieurs!" in the queue. Our farmer host would always bring a rose melon over at 6PM to start us off along for supper with the local Rose wine. Then the farm dogs hung around looking hungry and drooling for the barbecue.

I think we started with La Salade. And the melon last. He seriously told us off for using Purple garlic. Only eaten by Les Parisiennes, who were likely to get speeding tickets locally at the first sight of a Numero 75 number plate. Explained that Rose garlic had a more subtle flavour.

Very civilised.

I'm Steve.

Well, we Brits do like garlic bread. It's the future you know
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Well, we Brits do like garlic bread. It's the future you know
    Don't forget filled crust pizza
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

Was Mario an only child, daftee? I did ask!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony
    My comment about dog-born-in-stable alludes to that, so it's your observation skills that need sharpening ]
    And you still haven't explained this, super-daftee ^^

A) I never saw said comment, and b) I've no idea what a "dog-born-in-stable" is.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

The British are barbarians by European standards.

I often wondered why the French always turned their heads round at me in the Boulangerie (Bakery).

Was it because they immediately detected my Englishness? And had bitter memories of Waterloo and Trafalgar?

NO. It was simply that I didn't say "Bonjour" to everybody in the Queue.

Manners are expected in Continental Europe.

+ Reply to Thread