+ Reply to Thread
Page 489 of 991 FirstFirst ... 389439479487488489490491499539589989 ... LastLast
Results 4,881 to 4,890 of 9908

Thread: Johns Hopkins Medical Centre - World Coronavirus infection Map by Country.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Why doesn't this get the goat of liberals in the West, these are actual concentration camps, but they'd rather blather on about Israel. Boycott Chinese goods now!
    I try to, but as discussed elsewhere it is very difficult. So much of what we buy is made in China for British, European and Japanese manufacturers.

The sad fact is most people want cheap goods and don't care about the consequences: slave labour; dangerous working conditions, as well as blatant breach of copyright and design patents.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I try to, but as discussed elsewhere it is very difficult. So much of what we buy is made in China for British, European and Japanese manufacturers.

The sad fact is most people want cheap goods and don't care about the consequences: slave labour; dangerous working conditions, as well as blatant breach of copyright and design patents.
    Tell that to lefties! They're all for he BDS movement, why not apply that to China, or would that mean increasing their living costs by 10% too much?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Martin.

Tell that to lefties! They're all for he BDS movement, why not apply that to China, or would that mean increasing their living costs by 10% too much?
    In fairness you do see them banging on about Tibet occasionally. There are so many injustices in the world though, and they can't spend every waking minute virtue signalling. Plus in recent years Trump has taken up a lot of their time even though he never actually did anything except talk.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

Why doesn't this get the goat of liberals in the West, these are actual concentration camps, but they'd rather blather on about Israel. Boycott Chinese goods now!

Absolutely not !
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Why not?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Why not?

Marco.
    Haway Marco., you know exactly why...The keyboard I'm typing on, the mouse I'm using, the screen I'm looking at...The computer that's doing the processing. The kettle that's just boiled the water for my cup of tea, the toaster I've just used to make breakfast, the light bulb that is lighting the living room, the TV that is on behind me, need I go on?..Logitech, Hitachi, Dell, Morphy Richards, Russel Hobbs, Samsung, Sky, BT, Huawei, all made in China/ loaded with Chinese components...It's not the products that are the problem..It's the greedy fuckers who who we buy the products from in our own country..(the people who are exploiting the Chinese)..Is it the responsibilty of the ordinary Joe/Jane on the street for the welfare of Chinese workers...should we/they be made to feel guilty? How did Barry put it??.."The sad fact is most people want cheap goods and don't care about the consequences: slave labour; dangerous working conditions"

I would bet that 95% of people talking on a BT phone haven't got a clue, it was made in China..It's got British Telecom stamped all over it...It's got to be British...right?...

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

Okies, I get that... What I really meant was boycott it *as far as possible*, i.e. when you have the option of buying a particular product [whatever it may be] that isn't made in China [and you know that for a fact], then you make a conscious decision to buy that instead, even if it's more expensive (but usually also better) than a Chinese option.

That's certainly possible, and more often than you might think, if you genuinely care about QUALITY, and also not wanting to support slave labour. For example, you mentioned kettles and toasters... Our kettle (a Stellar) was designed in Bristol and made in Europe, and our toaster (a Dualit) is 100% British made.

Main household appliances? All Miele, which is German. And my espresso maker comes from Italy (Smeg). I could go on...

Of course a lot of this stuff will almost certainly contain Chinese-sourced components, but that's unavoidable, and certainly pretty much any mass-produced consumer electronics, such as you mention, will be made in China. However, none of my main hi-fi system is - all British or (vintage) Japanese. And my car is German.

Plus, I won't buy any clothes or shoes that are likely made in a 'sweat shop'. Before buying anything like that, I need to know where it comes from first!

The point being.... Whilst it is virtually unavoidable to COMPLETELY boycott Chinese goods, it CAN often be avoided, especially if you've a) got a conscience and abhor supporting slave labour, and b) when buying anything, your focus is always more on quality/eco-friendliness/sustainability, than simply price!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alan.

Okies, I get that... What I really meant was boycott it *as far as possible*, i.e. when you have the option of buying a particular product [whatever it may be] that isn't made in China [and you know that for a fact], then you make a conscious decision to buy that instead, even if it's more expensive (but usually also better), rather than a cheaper Chinese option.

That's certainly possible, and more often than you might think, if you genuinely care about QUALITY, and also not wanting to support slave labour. For example, you mentioned kettles and toasters... Our kettle (a Stellar) was designed in Bristol and made in Europe, and our toaster (a Dualit) is 100% British made.

Main household appliances? All Miele, which is German. And my espresso maker is made in Italy (Smeg). I could go on...

Of course a lot of this stuff will almost certainly contain Chinese-sourced components, but that's unavoidable, and certainly pretty much any mass-produced consumer electronics, such as you mention, will be made in China. However, none of my main hi-fi system is - all British or (vintage) Japanese. And my car is German.

Plus, I won't buy any clothes or shoes that are made in a 'sweat shop'. Before buying anything like that, I need to know where it comes from first!

The point being.... Whilst it is virtually unavoidable to COMPLETELY boycott Chinese goods, it CAN sometimes be avoided, especially if you've a) got a conscience and abhor supporting slave labour, and b) when buying anything, your focus is always more on quality/eco-friendliness/sustainability, than simply price!

Marco.
    Yeah...I get where you are coming from Marco and that's fine if you have a decent income but, this day and age, the income of most of the UK's population is not that good. These cheap Chinese goods in question, are not cheap at all..and you can't seriously believe your all German car is all German...There are shit loads of Chinese made Merc parts coming into the UK by the container load..and where do you think your Levi's Jeans are made??..Nike trainers, Adidas trainers. Have you seen the price of them. Who's reaping the benefits. Not the Chinese that's for sure...95% of everything is made in China because of cheap labour..Cheap labour means extremely high profits. Once one company heads out that way..It's only a matter of time before other companies follow suit, lowering overheads to maximise profits..Not everyone can afford an Argyle sweater and Barbour coat. Hmmmm I wonder where they are made...

Indeed, but as I said, you avoid it *as much as possible*, and although my Mercedes may contain some non-German parts, it's still MADE in Germany. The same as my Miele induction hob, oven, etc, which likely will also contain some Chinese parts. You do what you can, mate.

And there are plenty of clothes and footwear, if you go to proper (often privately owned) menswear shops, not cheap High Street discounters, which sell products made in the UK/US or Europe. Yes, of course that stuff isn't cheap and may cost many times more than something that's mass-produced in a 'sweat shop', but (if looked after) will generally last ten times longer, so pays for itself in the end, especially things such as jackets, coats and footwear. Unless you're a hapless fashion victim!

However, my point is, *if* you can afford it [this doesn't apply to anyone else], then that is what you should be buying, instead of cheap tat. Problem is, too many folks who can afford it (and bearing in mind we live in a largely wealthy country, where people spend inordinate amounts of money, everyday, on ALL sorts of things), will often still buy cheap tat (Chinese or other), either through laziness and/or nonsensical 'tight-waddery', regardless or what or whom, somewhere down the line, may be suffering as a consequence!

Our next kettle, btw (once the Stellar goes pop) will be a Smeg, to match our espresso machine: https://www.smeguk.com/products/KLF04RDUK

Plus, with full spares available (unlike cheap, disposable Chinese tat), and as we look after our stuff, it should last us 'forever'

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Alan.

Indeed, but as I said, you avoid it *as much as possible*, and although my Mercedes may contain some non-German parts, it's still MADE in Germany. The same as my Miele induction hob, oven, etc, which likely will also contain some Chinese parts. You do what you can, mate.

And there are plenty of clothes and footwear, if you go to proper (often privately owned) menswear shops, not cheap High Street discounters, which are made in the UK. Yes, of course this stuff isn't cheap and may cost many times more than something that's mass-produced in a 'sweat shop', but (if looked after) will generally last ten times longer, so pays for itself in the end, especially things such as jackets, coats and footwear. Unless you're a hapless fashion victim!

However, my point is, *if* you can afford it [this doesn't apply to anyone else], then that is what you should be buying, instead of cheap tat. Problem is, too many folks who can afford it (and bearing in mind we live in a largely wealthy country where people spend inordinate amounts of money on ALL sorts), will often still buy cheap tat (Chinese or other), either through laziness and/or nonsensical 'tight-waddery', regardless or what or whom may be suffering as a consequence!

Our next kettle, btw (once the Stellar goes pop) will be a Smeg, to match our coffee machine: https://www.leekes.co.uk/smeg-variable-kettle-red

And as full spares are available (unlike cheap, disposable Chinese tat), and as we look after our stuff, it should last us 'forever'

Marco.
    So you're not buying British made?....

+ Reply to Thread