+ Reply to Thread
Page 430 of 991 FirstFirst ... 330380420428429430431432440480530930 ... LastLast
Results 4,291 to 4,300 of 9908

Thread: Johns Hopkins Medical Centre - World Coronavirus infection Map by Country.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Well, as usual, we'll have to agree to disagree on that matter. Neither are perfect, that's for sure, but a damn sight more capable than the balloon currently in No10 supposedly 'running the country', and making a total ARSE of it!

More like RUINING the country... What exactly are his 'leadership qualities', then'? I'm asking simply because he hides them so well!! As I've said, I don't necessarily agree with some of Drakeford's recent decisions, but he seems a sincere man with his heart in the right place, unlike BJ-Boy.

And if this 'firebreak fortnight' results in a significant drop in infections, and subsequently to us (in Wales) enjoying a more normal Christmas, whilst you lot are in lockdown and forced to endure a 'digital Christmas', then he'll deserve a medal, and I'll be on here saying....

GET IT RIGHT UP YE!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol.... It's all part of the entertainment, plus I enjoy building up a rapport with a particular stylist, a bit like a bartender in a local bar, in that respect, in that I can walk in and they know what I want without asking for it.

I've known my current stylist, who usually calls at home, but had to isolate after a friend of her daughter's tested positive for Covid (hence why I visited a salon), for nearly as long as I've known Del. I think I first met her in 1990, in a salon in Wrexham, when Del and I were living in Glasgow but used to come and visit her mum, and she's now become a good friend to both of us.

I just enjoy building relationships like that, and as I've said before, I'm someone who's always enjoyed female company, as I usually get on very well with women!

Marco.
    I'm beginnig to wonder who the hairdresser is.....duckie
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

Ménage à Trois, mate...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Jon.

Well, as usual, we'll have to agree to disagree on that matter.

Marco.
    I’d have thought that locking down the areas with a high R number and letting the areas that aren’t so badly affected to continue to trade and (relatively) go about life as usual, as opposed to slamming the door firmly shut on the entire population would be a sensible and intelligent thing to do. Wouldn’t you?

General public: Can we please buy an egg?
    WelshLabour: Why, of course you can
    General public: Can we buy an egg cup to eat said egg?
    WelshLabour: Hell no, you’ll kill us all!!!
    General public: Ok, can I bathe my child?
    WelshLabour: Go right ahead
    General public: Can I buy a towel to dry my child?
    WelshLabour: Absolutely not, no way, this would be the death of all mankind.
    General public: Can I at least buy my child new clothing so they’re not cold?
    WelshLabour: Are you mad? We will not let this happen, not ever, it would be catastrophic to the population.
    General public: Can we at least buy cleaning products to minimise the spread of the Wu-Tang virus?
    WelshLabour: Don’t be stupid, of course not.

Etc etc etc

I was going to say that the above is a light hearted look on things in Wales, but I can’t as its actually and quite unbelievably happened.
    But, yes, I agree that none of the practices are perfect, and there’s no one size fits all solution.
    That said, there’s practices that are relatively sane and then there’s Welsh Labour and Drakeford.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    welsh supermarkets are fuming that the govt have now said at 11th hr that no essential items may be sold, but havent said what they are and how you block people from buying them without fights breaking out.
    im inclined to agree, and think the welsh govt have lost the place..
    you say cant buy a lightbulb coz its not essenial, so you fall down stairs how do these folk get these jobs?
    Isn't the issue that most things which are bought are not essential? I don't think it's so much the transactions which are a concern, but people travelling out to buy stuff, and the social mixing that arises. Also, some articles in shops tend to be handled before purchase - think birthday cards or CDs. I quite often enjoy looking through birthday cards before selecting (or not) one to buy.

I'm trying to think of examples of "non essential" items which really are.

Probably things like tools - and tap washers - to stop major water damage if one's plumbing goes wrong.
    Toilet syphons - so toilets keep overflowing.
    Fuses for electric plugs, so that what they're connected to work.
    Engine oil for cars.

On the other hand some things are less immediately essential, surely - such as:
    Interior decorating paint (exterior paint probably helps to preserve surfaces and reduce/avoid problems in the future).
    Luxury foods - such as caviar.
    Curtain fabric.

Over to you ....

PS: Isn't the thing about supermarkets and non essential items to give a more level playing field to other smaller shops? Example: birthday cards - which presumably can still be bought in card shops, small shops and post offices.

Another one - flowers - go to a local florist.
    Last edited by dave2010; 24-10-2020 at 08:32.
    Dave

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Isn't the issue that most things which are bought are not essential? I don't think it's so much the transactions which are a concern, but people travelling out to buy stuff, and the social mixing that arises. Also, some articles in shops tend to be handled before purchase - think birthday cards or CDs. I quite often enjoy looking through birthday cards before selecting (or not) one to buy.

Probably things like tools - and tap washers - to stop major water damage if one's plumbing goes wrong.
    Engine oil for cars.

Interior decorating paint (exterior paint probably helps to preserve surfaces and reduce/avoid problems in the future).
    Curtain fabric.

Over to you ....

PS: Isn't the thing about supermarkets and non essential items to give a more level playing field to other smaller shops? Example: birthday cards - which presumably can still be bought in card shops, small shops and post offices.

"Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

Quote Originally Posted by InThe Sticks View Post
    I’d have thought that locking down the areas with a high R number and letting the areas that aren’t so badly affected to continue to trade and (relatively) go about life as usual, as opposed to slamming the door firmly shut on the entire population would be a sensible and intelligent thing to do. Wouldn’t you?

General public: Can we please buy an egg?
    WelshLabour: Why, of course you can
    General public: Can we buy an egg cup to eat said egg?
    WelshLabour: Hell no, you’ll kill us all!!!
    General public: Ok, can I bathe my child?
    WelshLabour: Go right ahead
    General public: Can I buy a towel to dry my child?
    WelshLabour: Absolutely not, no way, this would be the death of all mankind.
    General public: Can I at least buy my child new clothing so they’re not cold?
    WelshLabour: Are you mad? We will not let this happen, not ever, it would be catastrophic to the population.
    General public: Can we at least buy cleaning products to minimise the spread of the Wu-Tang virus?
    WelshLabour: Don’t be stupid, of course not.

Etc etc etc

I was going to say that the above is a light hearted look on things in Wales, but I can’t as its actually and quite unbelievably happened.
    But, yes, I agree that none of the practices are perfect, and there’s no one size fits all solution.
    That said, there’s practices that are relatively sane and then there’s Welsh Labour and Drakeford.
    Yes, I totally agree, and it's very well documented that I'm passionately and fiercely protective of my freedoms! However, the lockdown was announced well in advance - it certainly didn't come as a 'surprise', so there was AMPLE TIME for the general public to plan for it.

His mistake was the late introduction of the the ban on buying 'non-essential items', which should've been announced at the same time as the lockdown. However, much of what you've said is of course exaggerated for effect, as ALL of the things you've mentioned above any organised person should already have at home in abundance, such as clothes and towels (plenty to last 2 weeks), certainly anyone with kids. And if not, then it's their own fault!

In any case, as I said let's see where we are in Wales on Nov 9th, and whether or not the measures look likely to have had the desired effect (of course there will be a delay for the 'catch up' to happen), and if they have, then for me MD should be applauded.

From what I know of him and his behaviour to date, he's certainly isn't the authoritarian, draconian type (quite the opposite in fact); he's a passionate Welshman trying to do what he thinks is best in the long term for Wales and the Welsh people, but at the same time (contrary to what you think) is a strong enough leader not to be afraid to take any tough decisions that he thinks are necessary in order to achieve that, and which is precisely what he's done.

The fact is, despite what you think of them, both he and Sturgeon have had the 'balls' to do what they think is right, whether you or I agree with it or not, thus have shown proper leadership qualities, unlike dithering, bumbling Boris!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post

Engine oil for cars.

Curtain fabric.

Over to you ....

Good post, Adrian. I fully concur!

The problem is folks these days are so bloody disorganised and used to not having to THINK, with everything being available to them in shops, 24/7, so there's no need to plan properly.

Therefore, if something is 'urgently required', they just run out to the supermarket, making umpteen unnecessary journeys in the process over the course of a week, when some proper planning and organisation would limit that necessity - and limiting that necessity (along with people's movements), and therefore the further spread of the virus, is the whole reason why these new measures have been implemented.

Look at the ridiculous panic buying, for example, that takes place in supermarkets every year on Christmas Eve - simply because the shops are shut for ONE DAY!! 'OMG, just HOW are we going to cope for 24 hours without buying yet another bag of sprouts or pint of milk, 'just in case'??'

Fucking madness!!

So TBH, if you can't go 2 weeks without buying a towel or ]yet more] kids clothes, for kids that already have too much and WAY more than they need, then take a good look at yourself, not the Welsh First Minister!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Yes, I totally agree, and it's very well documented that I'm passionately protective of my freedoms! However, the lockdown was announced well in advance - it certainly didn't come as a 'surprise', so there was AMPLE TIME for the general public to plan for it.

His mistake was the late introduction of the the ban on buying 'non-essential items', which should've been announced at the same time as the lockdown. However, much of what you've said is of course exaggerated for effect, as ALL of the things you've mentioned above any organised person should already have at home in abundance, such as clothes and towels (plenty to last 2 weeks), certainly anyone with kids. And if not, then it's their own fault!

In any case, as I said let's see where we are in Wales on Nov 9th, and whether or not the measures are looking likely to have had the desired effect (of course there will be a delay for the 'catch up' to happen), and if they have, then for me MD is to be applauded.

From what I know of him and his behaviour to date, he's certainly isn't the authoritarian, draconian type (quite the opposite in fact); he's a passionate Welshman trying to do what he thinks is best in the long term for Wales and the Welsh people, but at the same time (contrary to what you think) is a strong enough leader not to be afraid to take any tough decisions that he thinks are necessary in order to achieve that, and which is precisely what he's done.

The fact is, despite what you think of them, both he and Sturgeon have had the 'balls' to do what they think is right, whether you or I agree with it or not, thus have shown proper leadership qualities, unlike dithering, bumbling Boris!

Marco.
    Can we stop using the word 'leader' in reference to politicians? It isn't their job to be 'leaders' any more than it is our purpose to be their 'followers.'

The concept of political 'leaders' is very left wing/Orwellian and certainly not something we want or need in this country. I know that you see the term used often in the media but it is fundamentally incorrect. A Prime Minister or First Minister is the leader of their political party, not of their country. If you are not a party member then they are not your leader.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Oh, and of course, if anyone wants to buy a bloody egg cup or a towel, in the next 2 weeks, then you can ably do so online - there's no need whatsoever to use a supermarket!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread