+ Reply to Thread
Page 407 of 991 FirstFirst ... 307357397405406407408409417457507907 ... LastLast
Results 4,061 to 4,070 of 9908

Thread: Johns Hopkins Medical Centre - World Coronavirus infection Map by Country.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    At the company I work for, at least in the department I work for, they have found that absenteeism is down and productivity is up. Consequently they are seriously considering continuing home working, possibly 5 days a week and almost certainly for 3 days a week with the staff on rotation into a much smaller office. If you consider that not renting an office is saving the company a couple of hundred grand a year it would be an odd decision to return to normal completely.

The most impressive difference with lockdown was the increase in air quality. Will depend on where you live but where I am air quality is generally poor and very poor in the spring and summer. The difference with a 90% reduction in road traffic bordered on the unbelievable. It would be fantastic if there was some way we could have that back without impact on the economy.
    Absolutely agree with the comments re work and doing home working, and also about air quality.

Productivity and output does seem to go up with home working, though I think long term fatigue may set in. It makes sense for more firms to encourage home working, and even try to improve it. Many of us are communicating using laptops, desktops with cameras, but maybe if this is to become more mainstream, better audio and video systems should be used.

I suspect that some people are becoming too focused on work, and this is not really good for them in the long term. However, reducing commuting would be a very good thing in some parts of the UK. If one has to commute, it would be pleasanter if that at least meant getting a seat on a train - though maybe railway company profits would go down. I don't see that we have to act in ways simply in order to keep some company profits up - for example sandwich bars and railways, airlines, aircraft manufacturers and travel companies, though there are issues to address there.

Noise is also a factor - and I have noticed a very significant increase in noise due to the road outside and increased traffic in the last month. In terms of pollution, where we now live pollution is likely to be low, even with petrol cars, but I do wish the cars were a bit quieter. I need to do a test with our EVs now, to see how noisy they are when driven past our house. I suspect that from the roadside they are a lot quieter.

I found this article from the Atlantic - which presents a fairly comprehensive view of the USA's approach to Covid - The article attempts to analyse what the USA has done - or not done - https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...winter/616204/

I suspect that the article could also reflect what has been going on in the UK too. It's difficult to know what to do. Some of the "facts" in the video mentioned earlier seem to be correct - but it might still be too early to claim that various official interventions haven't worked. We do not have the luxury of multi-populations so that we can do controlled testing of different strategies, and although country comparisons may give some clues, for many reasons those are also imperfect.

There is much more known about Covid 19 now than there was at the beginning of the year, but we would probably be foolish to think we know it all, and it is now safe to crawl out of the woodwork.

These have been interesting times!
    Dave

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Absolutely agree with the comments re work and doing home working, and also about air quality.

Productivity and output does seem to go up with home working, though I think long term fatigue may set in. It makes sense for more firms to encourage home working, and even try to improve it. Many of us are communicating using laptops, desktops with cameras, but maybe if this is to become more mainstream, better audio and video systems should be used.

I suspect that some people are becoming too focused on work, and this is not really good for them in the long term. However, reducing commuting would be a very good thing in some parts of the UK. If one has to commute, it would be pleasanter if that at least meant getting a seat on a train - though maybe railway company profits would go down. I don't see that we have to act in ways simply in order to keep some company profits up - for example sandwich bars and railways, airlines, aircraft manufacturers and travel companies, though there are issues to address there.

Noise is also a factor - and I have noticed a very significant increase in noise due to the road outside and increased traffic in the last month. In terms of pollution, where we now live pollution is likely to be low, even with petrol cars, but I do wish the cars were a bit quieter. I need to do a test with our EVs now, to see how noisy they are when driven past our house. I suspect that from the roadside they are a lot quieter.

I found this article from the Atlantic - which presents a fairly comprehensive view of the USA's approach to Covid - The article attempts to analyse what the USA has done - or not done - https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...winter/616204/

I suspect that the article could also reflect what has been going on in the UK too. It's difficult to know what to do. Some of the "facts" in the video mentioned earlier seem to be correct - but it might still be too early to claim that various official interventions haven't worked. We do not have the luxury of multi-populations so that we can do controlled testing of different strategies, and although country comparisons may give some clues, for many reasons those are also imperfect.

There is much more known about Covid 19 now than there was at the beginning of the year, but we would probably be foolish to think we know it all, and it is now safe to crawl out of the woodwork.

These have been interesting times!
    The Atlantic article link just gives me a 'page not found' error.

Agree two benefits of EV is the lack of (local) pollution and the lack of engine noise. I'd guess if only 50% of vehicles on the road were electric that would have a huge impact on air quality and noise.

Likewise if just 50% of people who can do their jobs from home continued to do so that would also have a major impact.

There's the issue of businesses serving business districts like sandwich bars and suchlike going bust, but times change and certain businesses do become obsolete, it's just the way of things. Old opportunities disappear and new ones take their place. When the car arrived a lot of business connected with horses went broke, when airplanes arrived the transatlantic liner business came to an end, and so on.

I think the worst thing we could do would be to try to artificially prop up outmoded businesses. Better to put the effort into encouraging their replacements.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

Northeast of England, local lockdown ...is an absolute f******g farce, it's laughable...this will do nothing,
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Dave.

FT has a Bluffer's Guide on coronavirus risks - https://www.ft.com/content/176b9bbe-...d-070db2d8e6ff

There is also an article about why and how Sweden is different and its state epediomologist - https://www.ft.com/content/5cc92d45-...6-26501693a371
    Dave

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    Northeast of England, local lockdown ...is an absolute f******g farce, it's laughable...this will do nothing,
    I know. It's utter bullshit.

The natives are continuing their unrest: https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2020/09/1...o-disperse-or/

"We are the resistance!" Love it!! And it will only get worse, the more draconian measures are imposed to unjustly control people's freedoms... If it keeps up, a full-scale rebellion is imminent.

LONG LIVE PEOPLE POWER!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The Atlantic article link just gives me a 'page not found' error.
    Try this https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...winter/616204/

Agree two benefits of EV is the lack of (local) pollution and the lack of engine noise. I'd guess if only 50% of vehicles on the road were electric that would have a huge impact on air quality and noise.

Likewise if just 50% of people who can do their jobs from home continued to do so that would also have a major impact.
    There's the issue of businesses serving business districts like sandwich bars and suchlike going bust, but times change and certain businesses do become obsolete, it's just the way of things. Old opportunities disappear and new ones take their place. When the car arrived a lot of business connected with horses went broke, when airplanes arrived the transatlantic liner business came to an end, and so on.

I think the worst thing we could do would be to try to artificially prop up outmoded businesses. Better to put the effort into encouraging their replacements.
    Yes - we had discussions like that in Thatcher's time. Some of the things she effectively shut down made sense - to go - but we also felt that her approach was like administering poison to everyone, and only the really fit would survive.

Trying to bolster up businesses to keep things "as they were" seems a really bad idea. A lot of this coronavirus business isn't good, but if people's behaviour changes so that they can have better lives, what's wrong with that? I don't really care if a lot of the airline business goes under, even though I use flights sometimes.

A worry is that big business - rich people etc., will carry on regardless, and the poor and relatively impoverished at the bottom of the pile will really struggle. I think that is something that government "thinks" about, but doesn't really feel or understand.
    Dave

I'm Steve.

Just heard that Anita's dad's next door neighbours went for a Covid test as the wife was feeling a bit unwell. They queued for one and a half hours before deciding 'sod this' and leaving. Imagine their surprise when the next day they were informed that their test results were 'positive'. What's that all about?

They asked their cousin (who's a nurse) who should they speak to about this, to which she replied "I wouldn't bother, this is happening a lot".
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Mike.

Good on Sweden, shame they don't have a sensible approach to multi-culti though.
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...-big-to-ignore
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Just heard that Anita's dad's next door neighbours went for a Covid test as the wife was feeling a bit unwell. They queued for one and a half hours before deciding 'sod this' and leaving. Imagine their surprise when the next day they were informed that their test results were 'positive'. What's that all about?

They asked their cousin (who's a nurse) who should they speak to about this, to which she replied "I wouldn't bother, this is happening a lot".
    So, just to be clear, was she implying that they're fiddling the figures or what? If it's the former, then it needs properly investigated and exposed as corruption! I have ZERO tolerance for that shite.

Also, how did they get their details to contact them - did they already have them before they attempted to get a test?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Not corruption, but incompetence.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread