+ Reply to Thread
Page 361 of 991 FirstFirst ... 261311351359360361362363371411461861 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,610 of 9908

Thread: Johns Hopkins Medical Centre - World Coronavirus infection Map by Country.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    have to say I don't generally listen to the punditry. Don't see the point of it. Although it is quite funny sometimes when they lapse into Partridge-isms.

You can't blame us fans for being enthusiastic, surely that's the very definition of a 'fan'?
    Enthusiasm is fine, ARROGANCE isn't - and with England fans, frequently the balance is tipped in favour of the latter, which is why it rubs up everyone else (the non-English) who then want them to lose... Plus also because if they won, (like 1966), you'd never hear the end of it!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... The problem is, England fans are under the illusion that their international team is far better than it actually is, seemingly justified by the notion that the EPL is one of the best leagues in the world, which of course is true, BUT largely because of all the foreigners playing there making it so, and who sadly con't play for England!

Marco.
    That doesn't describe any England fan I know. No-one with even a small amount of football knowledge would draw that connection.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Enthusiasm is fine, ARROGANCE isn't - and with England fans, frequently the balance is tipped in favour of the latter, which is why it rubs up everyone else (the non-English) who then want them to lose... Plus also because if they won, (like 1966), you'd never hear the end of it!!

Marco.
    Ah but you're missing the point that the English don't care who they rub up the wrong way
    Current Lash Up:

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    a decent international side to be fair.. might be a lot better if they didnt have so many foreign stars playing in the english league... although we could also maybe make that point too, certainly with our top 2 sides
    Exactly my point. Plus, and so this is the key thing, WHY OH WHY then do they go into World Cups as one of the FAVOURITES, having only won the tournament once, some 54 years ago, plus (to my knowledge) have appeared in only one semi-final since!

It's bullshit. Fair enough if they had the track record in recent time to warrant that tag, and had recently reached numerous quarter and semi-finals, but they haven't. So how is their favourites status in World Cup tournaments remotely justified? Just because 'they're England'...?

And yes, the Scotland international team is also hampered by all the foreigners playing for Rangers and Celtic, and one of the reasons why we haven't qualified for a major tournament since 1998. However, we're a much smaller nation than England, with far less money supporting our game, and so I'd argue that in that respect, given their resources, England, since 1966, have underachieved at international level far more than Scotland.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Ah but you're missing the point that the English don't care who they rub up the wrong way
    Ha - indeed, and which is why half the world hates them!

Bullish arrogance, coupled with an unjustifed and overinflated sense of superiority, is never an attractive trait, and will only ever succeed in winning you more enemies than friends.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Ha - indeed, and which is why half the world hates them!

Bullish arrogance, coupled with an overinflated sense of superiority, is never an attractive trait, and will only ever succeed in winning you more enemies than friends.

Marco.
    Well I was being tongue in cheek of course, But seriously, no England fan cares whether a Frenchman or an Italian or whoever wants them to win - or lose. Why would they? They'd expect them to support their own national side and be elated or disappointed if that side won or lost. Once England are out I'm not bothered who wins it.

In what world cup have England ever gone in as a 'Favourite'. I can't recall us ever being a favourite with the bookmakers and that's surely the only definition that counts?
    Current Lash Up:

That doesn't describe any England fan I know. No-one with even a small amount of football knowledge would draw that connection.
    So what else explains the fact that England are, unjustifiably, always considered as one of the favourites to win the tournament, at the beginning of every World Cup? It can't be their recent record in the competition, so what else justifies them as favourites, if it isn't the fact that the status of EPL falsely inflates the status of the England international team?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

So what else explains the fact that England are, unjustifiably, always considered as one of the favourites to win the tournament, at the beginning of every World Cup? It can't be their recent record in the competition, so what else justifies them as favourites, if it isn't the fact that the status of EPL falsely inflates the status of the England international team?

Marco.
    As above when have we ever been the favourite? Or even one of the favourites? France, Holland, Germany, Spain, Italy and Portugal are always the top picks, although the ranking does vary from tournament to tournament obviously. The usual narrative is that England are the 'plucky underdogs.' Which is also bollocks ofc.

EDIT - forgot the non-Europeans like Argentina, Brazil, Uraguay. They all get ranked higher than England too.
    Current Lash Up:

In what world cup have England ever gone in as a 'Favourite'. I can't recall us ever being a favourite with the bookmakers and that's surely the only definition that counts?
    Not favourite, but ONE of the favourites. If you were to ask pretty much any person in the English media, journalist or TV pundit, who were, say, the top six favourites to win the World Cup, in any given year, England would be in that top six [I guarantee you] - and quite simply their record doesn't justify it.

Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, Holland (among others), *factually*, based on their record in World Cups to date, are all ahead of England.

*That* is my point. Realistically, England have hee-haw chance of winning the World Cup anytime soon, so they should NOT be seen as being one of the favourites.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Not favourite, but ONE of the favourites. If you were to ask pretty much any person in the English media, journalist or TV pundit, who were, say, the top four favourites to win the European Championships or World Cup, in any given year, England would be in that top four [I guarantee you] - and quite simply their record doesn't justify it.

*That* is my point. Top six, at a push, and near the bottom of that too, is far more accurate. Realistically, they have hee-haw chance of winning the World Cup. The Euros, maybe, at a push.

Marco.
    A pundit will say anything though. What counts is what the bookies think. And we're never even close to being a favourite with them.

And I'd never say never if I were you. Remember Leicester winning the EPL? I know a Leicester fan won ten grand on that betting at the start of the season. You'd have told him 'Don't waste your money!' ( I would've too tbh).
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread