+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: DD turntable recommendations?

  1. #41
    Join Date: Apr 2016

    Location: Gravesend and France

    Posts: 1,406
    I'm paul.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    I bought this a few years ago:



    Then had a bit of fun replinthing it.



    It's a JVC QL7 and has been totally reliable.
    Nice Ian.
    Bakoon 11R Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Lii audio crystal 10 tqwt speakers

    Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons Najda dsp as dac Akai AM-U02 Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable
    leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

    Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck


    System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

  2. #42
    Join Date: Sep 2017

    Location: Dublin

    Posts: 376
    I'm Pavel.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    It would be sods law though, you spend over £500 on a 30+ year old turntable with no guarantee, warranty or anywhere you can get spares and part of the quarts lock or a control board chip goes wrong, absolutely no way of getting it repaired, instant scrap and a very bitter taste left in the mouth. You say these don't often go wrong but there are plenty of people that post on this forum that have had issues with old DD decks, my advice is play it safe, it might not be the coolest deck but a 12xx will last and can be fixed if it goes wrong.
    And even if an old DD deck works, it doesn't mean it's working correctly.

    I bought an SP10 mk2 which was advertised as fully working - well it was not, the electronic brake circuit was broken. I was able to find and fix the fault myself thanks to Phonomac's advice, but it took me several months. It also needed full recap and adjustment of the PLL circuit for good measure. Now at least I can be sure that it works as intended (and that it will likely outlast me, given our family history of male longevity).

  3. #43
    Join Date: Jan 2020

    Location: South Yorkshire

    Posts: 2,683
    I'm Andre.

    Default

    One of my fav decks was the Monitor Audio 'ET-500' DD But the Platter was quite poor and very slightly waved at 45rpm..

  4. #44
    Join Date: Jul 2009

    Location: Hampshire, UK

    Posts: 2,972
    I'm Buriedunderaloadofturntables.

    Default

    The ET-500 was nice but was limited by its motor, whch was the standard Matsushita OEM item that found is way into dozens of 1970s designs, including the ADC Accutrac 4000, the JBE models, Garrard DD-75 and Toshiba SR-370.

    It was a 'good' performer, but much better is out there!
    Adam.

  5. #45
    Join Date: Apr 2011

    Location: London

    Posts: 4,139
    I'm Robert.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    And even if an old DD deck works, it doesn't mean it's working correctly.

    I bought an SP10 mk2 which was advertised as fully working - well it was not, the electronic brake circuit was broken. I was able to find and fix the fault myself thanks to Phonomac's advice, but it took me several months. It also needed full recap and adjustment of the PLL circuit for good measure. Now at least I can be sure that it works as intended (and that it will likely outlast me, given our family history of male longevity).
    Exactly! Again and to re-iterate. One has to factor in the servicing and having the vintage looked over properly by a competent tech otherwise you've no guarantee you are hearing the thing at it's right performance level / optimum, also you cant give any proper evaluation.

    Cant be said enough, to get the point across, which is to save others unnecessary pain. There's a lot of romance connected with the vintage which can get in the way and block/hinder the all important common sense approach.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs. Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.
    CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

  6. #46
    Join Date: May 2013

    Location: Rotherham

    Posts: 558
    I'm steve.

    Default DD turntable recommendations?

    Save yourself some money and get an ATLP5X for under £400, itís got everything you need, a decent cartridge a VM95E, a built in MM and MC phono stage and it even plays 78s. I have the original ATLP5 and find it to punch well above itís weight, mine only has a MM stage on it but it sounds great with my Goldring E3.

    https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/audio-technica-at-lp5x

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #47
    Join Date: May 2016

    Location: Gloucestershire

    Posts: 663
    I'm Ian.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Nice Ian.
    Well it was you Paul that set me on the road to a DD with your lovely Denon. Couldn't find a Denon at a sensible price but I'm more than happy with the Victor.

  8. #48
    Join Date: Aug 2012

    Location: North East

    Posts: 3,040
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Sony PS-6750
    Hitachi PS-58
    Kenwood KD550/650
    Pioneer PL-630
    Pioneer PL-707
    Technics SL-M1/2

    and not forgetting the less obvious - Technics SL-10!
    +1 for the Sony. I have one in my headphone system it both sounds and looks great. I use it with a Jico A&R P77 though I've had an AT Art 9 bolted to it and it sounded great. Worth a look at and Well within your budget if you can get hold of one.

  9. #49
    Join Date: May 2015

    Location: St Leonard's on Sea

    Posts: 1,030
    I'm Loz.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    +1 for the Sony. I have one in my headphone system it both sounds and looks great. I use it with a Jico A&R P77 though I've had an AT Art 9 bolted to it and it sounded great. Worth a look at and Well within your budget if you can get hold of one.
    Yes Steve. Those Sony's have been on my list for a while now. They look fab.

  10. #50
    Join Date: Jan 2020

    Location: South Yorkshire

    Posts: 2,683
    I'm Andre.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Save yourself some money and get an ATLP5X for under £400, itís got everything you need, a decent cartridge a VM95E, a built in MM and MC phono stage and it even plays 78s. I have the original ATLP5 and find it to punch well above itís weight, mine only has a MM stage on it but it sounds great
    with my Goldring E3.

    Great cartridge that 'E3' steve. I was gonna sell the one i just bought but was surprised how nice it sounds, Looks great too. Audio Bargain if you ask me. Replacement Styli can be had for about £50. which i must buy one in for future swap.. Much prefer the 'E3' to the '1042'

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •