+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: in need of some turntable support !

I'm Julian.

Default in need of some turntable support !

Afternoon all,

Please could I ask for your help?

Thanks to a less than understanding wife and a small house, if i want to play my vinyl the turntable has to be banished to a cramped spare bedroom upstairs.

I think there's only just enough room as it doubles as a storage room / home office so I could fit a 60cm wide rack in there - but the issue is the wobbly vibration leaden floor as the house is a 2003 barrat style home and not built like a fortress - at least the top floor. The floor is concrete downstairs, but the non concrete floorboards are pretty thin and vibration prone upstairs to the point that you can hear people when they are upstairs, from the lounge downstairs.

Its a bit of an all or nothing scenario and there's just enough space for an equipment rack to house a turntable and an amp for headphone listening.

The turntable in question is a Toshiba SR-370 / SME 3009 / Shure M97XE. Pre-amp is a Kenwood L-1000C and the headphones are Sony MDR 850. (I do have a 1200 in storage, but my preference is to use the Tosh which has a heavy composite plinth).

What should I do? I see my options are

1) Get rid of the turntable for something more lightweight like a Rega. Would this work better in this scenario, or am I better off with something where the plinth has some heft and weight to it?
    2) Improve the vibration isolation of the Tosh further by fitting some alternative feet to the Toshiba. The original ones are a bit 'iffy' and I know its a non standard screw thread - BUT I can solve that and fit something like Isonoe, or the sort of things that Technics 1200 users are upgrading to?
    3) Then the rack itself - which way should I go? Basic table and fit loads of big marble slabs, or small and lithe quadraspire table or something from Atacama with spikes on the bottom, to spike it to the floor? My feeling was that this would carry the vibrations up into the turntable more, but I am not an expert.

In which scenarios are a spiked table best anyway? Concrete floor?

I have a 6yr old and I will be using this anyway while she is asleep, but the top floor of the house is so vibration prone - more interested in the sound quality suffering vs the needle actually jumping in the groove.

What do you think?? HELP!!!!

Cheers
    Julian

I'm Gary.

Wall mounted turntable shelf?

https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/apollo...ble-wall-shelf

Something like this.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Wall mounted turntable shelf?

https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/apollo...ble-wall-shelf

Something like this.

Gary
    sorry forgot to mention, the walls are pretty thin - I dare not risk something like this, it would have to be floor mounted really. I know the answer is change the house and/or convince the wife otherwise, but its not happening. To be honest, being on my own upstairs listening to vinyl in the quiet isn't a bad option, its just how to do it.....

I'm Julian.

I have enough room for something like this....

https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/apollo...l-storage-unit

question is whether this will be up to the job, and how best to implement it (spikes/add a layer of granite on top/ditch the tosh for a rega which may not be as vibration prone?)

I'm Kevin.

The problem may be footfall related on a normal rack.
    My listening space is on a mezzanine floor, and my SL1200 would jump if someone walked across the floor, without being soft footed.
    My advice would be to get a wall mounted support fitted if you don’t fancy doing it yourself.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Kevin.

The HiFi racks support I have takes six fasteners and spreads the load nicely.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Julian.

anyone got a non wall support based reco? Our walls are like cardboard with a thin layer of plaster, we don't even have pictures hung on them let alone a 15kg turntable. I know that I would have to locate the internal structural joints of the wall, I just don't fancy enduring all of this. Keen to try and make a table work somehow?

I'm Andre.

Dont you know where the Studding is i the wall?

I'm Julian.

Sorry no I don't. I don't really want to get into a wall shelf. I'd prefer to work with the a stand and am isolation platform.

Apart from wall shelves, am looking for some advice on how to correct this by still being able to put the turntable on a floor stand - even if it fixed 70 or 80% of the problem

I'm Andre.

All i can say is stack Platforms with Sorborthane feet attached. You know like the old Mission Isoplats. The very early isoplats had ceramic cups bonded to the sorborthane feet to stop them sinking.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast