+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could a Nagaoka suit an LP12 / Ekos 2?

I'm AndrewR.

Default Could a Nagaoka suit an LP12 / Ekos 2?

Hi all,

I am considering a new cartridge to replace a Linn Klyde, and would like a moving magnet / moving iron so that I can easily replace the stylus (in future) without having to remove the Ekos 2 from my LP12.

I have been hearing good things about the Nagaoka brand, and am considering either an MP-150, MP-200 or MP-300.

Would Nagaoka cartridges suit the Ekos 2? I am not sure whether their mass & compliance would suit the 11.5g effective mass of the arm. MP-150 and MP-200 are about 6.5g in weight and a dynamic compliance: of 6.0 x 10-6 cm/dyne.

In addition, would the MP-300's Allen bolt (that locks the stylus in place from the side) mean that I would have to remove the Ekos 2 anyway when I eventually replace the stylus?

Thoughts, advice, experiences are all welcome.

Thank you.

Andrew
    Andrew Randle

I'm steve.

Only had the MP110 personally but found it to be an excellent cartridge, pretty sure arm matching would not be a problem, worked fine on the RB330 on my Planar 3. A friend of mine also started with and liked the MP110 and decided to move up to the 150 but found it a bit bright/ thin sounding in comparison, as always it depends on the balance of the rest of the setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Kevin.

I think the MP200 is the sweet spot in the range.
    No idea if it will suit though.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm AndrewR.

Thank you Steve and Kevin. I am almost ready to buy the MP-200 with a Graham Slee Reflex M phono stage.

Andrew
    Andrew Randle

I'm Andre.

The Nag '200' & 'Klyde' are pretty much in the same ball park where Compliance is concerned so dont see any matching probs.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
    Thank you Steve and Kevin. I am almost ready to buy the MP-200 with a Graham Slee Reflex M phono stage.

Andrew
    The Reflex M is nice, but the Accession is better.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm AndrewR.

Just to follow up on this one.

Bought an MP200 and gave it to the dealer to have fitted with a number of upgrades. Got a call from the dealer setting up the LP12. It turns out that the MP200 is too big for the Ekos 2's headshell (doh!!!), meaning there is overhang and no room at the back to fit the arm cable to the pins...

Downer

Now I am looking for another MM. It looks like an Ortofon 2M Black would be too big as well for the Ekos 2's headshell.

I do have a K9 that I could add a VM95 stylus to.

Andrew
    Andrew Randle

I'm Dave.

The Ekos does have a very small headshell, so it is difficult to fit many cartridges.

I'm Stephen.

Might I suggest you consider the Goldring 2500?

It's quite small physically and to my ears sounds quite superb. I bought mine a few months ago after fancying a change from MC's and I've not gone back.
    I use it with a Rothwell Simplex phono stage and Fidelity Audio LPSU.

Just my two penneth

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
    Just to follow up on this one.

Bought an MP200 and gave it to the dealer to have fitted with a number of upgrades. Got a call from the dealer setting up the LP12. It turns out that the MP200 is too big for the Ekos 2's headshell (doh!!!), meaning there is overhang and no room at the back to fit the arm cable to the pins...

Downer

Now I am looking for another MM. It looks like an Ortofon 2M Black would be too big as well for the Ekos 2's headshell.

I do have a K9 that I could add a VM95 stylus to.

Andrew
    Always a little further

I'm Dave.

It's the length of the cartridge which is important as the headshell is very short front to back. It was designed to be used with Linn cartridges of the time Asak, Asaka, Troika etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast