+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy’s on his travels again

I'm Martin.

The flight is miserable (10 hours to St Kitts) but it is worth it.

Or if you really, really want to get away from it all I'd recommend Barbuda. No cruise ships go there. Almost nobody goes there.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The flight is miserable (10 hours to St Kitts) but it is worth it.

Or if you really, really want to get away from it all I'd recommend Barbuda. No cruise ships go there. Almost nobody goes there.
    "Worth it" is subjective. If it was that bad, I'd be dreading the return journey home, and that would totally spoil my holiday, including the thought of having to deal again with the stress of security checks and overcrowded airports, and possible delays. Just NOT my idea of fun...

I detest stressful 'holidays', or exacting long journeys in general, which often make you feel as if you need a holiday to get over the one you've just had - and that's how I'd feel after spending 10 hours cooped up in a plane, unless I was travelling first class! That's why, so far, I've only been on holiday to Europe, usually by car. I much prefer going on trains, boats and cars, to flying.

Holidays, for me, are to 100% relax and de-stress, from start to finish, experience something totally different from what I get at home, and to distance myself from tourists as far as possible. When abroad, I like mingling with the locals and embracing local culture (as does Del), which is why we'd never entertain going to resorts full of British tourists, no matter how cheap it was!

Each to his or her own, though... Barbuda sounds cool

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    the thought of having to deal again with the stress of security checks and overcrowded airports, and possible delays.
    This puzzles me - why do people get stressed about security checks? You join the queue, you take your coat and belt off, you empty your pockets' contents and put your hand luggage into the tray, remembering to extract any liquids, computers and phones. You walk through, collect all your stuff, then go and have a beer.

Why would anyone get stressed by this?
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Grant.

would stress the hell out of me... me no go places like that no more. this country will do me
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Lol - that's easy, Adam... I thought you knew me

A) I don't 'do' queues, period!

B) Being in them, and standing waiting amongst crowds of rowdy assholes/kids, is massively stressful to me, as I'm simply not used to it. I'm used to peace and quiet and coming and going as *I* please.

C) I have almost no patience whatsoever for having my time taken up in such queues, or mingling with the 'great unwashed', unless there is NO other option.

D) Undressing, even superficially, and emptying my pockets, removing jewellery, etc, is a ball ache I could do without and simply doesn't happen when travelling abroad by car, where I'm cocooned inside my own private space, and undisturbed.

Plus, *I* like to be in control of MY journey, as much as possible, particularly when I arrive and depart from my chosen destinations. Oh, and you should hear me when I'm stuck in standstill traffic in that SHITEHOLE/glorified carpark, called the M25, or on motorways anywhere south of Birmingham!!

I could go on... Shall I?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

It's not 'stressful' though, just a bit of a ballache. But if you want to go to these places there's no other option but to fly, unless you have lots of free time and lots of money.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    would stress the hell out of me... me no go places like that no more. this country will do me
    Indeed, although I do enjoy driving abroad on holiday or travelling on boats/trains to get there. I'd get bored just staying put in the UK all the time. However, if I take your statement and apply it to where I live, then if fits perfectly!

Quite simply, I'm too used to going around the place without having my movements controlled or impeded by the behaviour of masses of others (life outside of the 'rat race', and in particular, London), that when I'm forced to step outside of my chosen oasis of peace and tranquility, and enter the 'real world', it's a severe shock to the system!!!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It's not 'stressful' though, just a bit of a ballache. But if you want to go to these places there's no other option but to fly, unless you have lots of free time and lots of money.
    It is to some mate, including me. You can't judge how others become stressed. As soon I'm in situations like that, I can feel my blood pressure rising (and my mood changing, not for the better either), which indeed I'm sure would be measurable!

As for your second point, absolutely... However for me, if I chose to spend what was required, it would be money very well spent indeed, instead of on the pish some others waste theirs on... Also, I have no shortage of free time, and neither will Del when she retires soon.

Quite simply, a holiday should, from start to finish, FEEL like a holiday!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Not had a passport for years. Probably never have another either, especially as Europe is now going to be playing funny buggers.
    Not that I'm really fit enough anyway. If I could manage a holiday in this country I'd feel I had been blessed. But that's unlikely either.
    So, it's a drive in country for muggins
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    If I could manage a holiday in this country I'd feel I had been blessed. But that's unlikely either.
    Well, if you can manage the drive, perhaps in stages, you know you'd be very welcome here ANY time, and you'd have your own comfortable downstairs bedroom, right next to the loo (and all the booze), and you'd be very well looked after!

The food would be half-decent, too...

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast