+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CD Vs LP (Yes, I know!)

I'm Peter.

Thanks for all the help and comment. I think it is the quality of this cut of the CD that is the problem, I'll try to find another.
    I have two CD versions of my favourite album, Islands by King Crimson. One is the first edition that came out and the second is the "Definite" edition which came out a few years later.
    The two versions of the CD are like chalk & cheese. The original is noisy, muffled and yucky (technical term). On one track the drums sound like they have gravel on the skins.
    The later version is much more open and listenable.

I'm Paul.

Default MQA 192KHz 24bit

I suggest you get an MQA compatible DAC like the Brooklyn pick a free subscription to Tidal and try the 192Khz 24 bit MQA version of Tales. I'm a vinyl diehard and find most cd recording souless but to my ears the MQA recordings are satisfying.
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars
    Out here we is stoned, immaculate
    The WASP - The Doors

I'm Alan.

It's unfortunately the case that to get the best out of vinyl playback is more expensive than a digital set-up.

However I think both can be equally enjoyable provided the heinous 'loudness wars' are avoided on CD and you employ a vinyl phono stage that has adequate overload capability and low noise and transparency.

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    It's unfortunately the case that to get the best out of vinyl playback is more expensive than a digital set-up.
    The way people fu*k about making Digital a million times more complicated than it needs to be, thats not the case Alan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123