+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shure NV55VL stylus - Anyone tried it?

I'm Richard.

Default Shure NV55VL stylus - Anyone tried it?

Having rediscovered the enjoyment of listening to my Shure M55 cartridge and loving that full bodied sound that my Dynavector doesn't do, I was hoping I might be able to find a JICO SAS stylus to go on it to replace the original that came with it, but the closest I can find is LPGear but they don't want to supply them outside of the US or Canada, so I came across the NV55VL 'Vivid line' stylus which looks to be an upgrade on the elliptical, but obviously not at the same level as the JICO SAS. I've ordered one to give it a try, but wondered whether anyone had any experience of them and if so, what they think of them.
    Rich

I'm Andrew.

The M55e is one of my favourite carts. I own the neoSAS stylus for the M55e and it's excellent. JICO have a good reputation so I'm sure the NV55L will be a good upgrade.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Grant.

I preferred the shure nos stylus to the sas.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Richard.

Well after a few days of setting one up and running it, I'm VERY pleased. If you like the standard stylus, then this VL version just cleans things up enormously. More space around everything, a wider soundstage and more depth. The overall tonality does not seem to have changed from the original where I've heard that the JICO SAS will brighten things up a bit (although I've not heard one for myself) so if you like the original but would like. a bit more refinement then this is exactly what you want.

The one thing I was suffering from at the start was some pretty bad sibilance on quite a few records and it took a load of tweaking about with bias, VTA and alignment until I finally realised that this new stylus needs more tracking force than the original. I'm hovering around 2.3 grams at the moment compared to the standard which was happy at 1.75, but I've discovered with other new stylus that this can be reduced once it has run in, but I don't expect it'll go much below 2.0g. Even so, it sounds excellent and a nice upgrade on the original so was well worth the experiment.
    Rich

I'm Brian.

Got a link please
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Richard.

Here you go:

https://www.lpgear.com/product/SHN055VLIMPL.html

The LP Gear website could do with improving their search facility a bit. It takes some finding.
    Rich

I'm Brian.

Thanks Richard
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post
    Having rediscovered the enjoyment of listening to my Shure M55 cartridge and loving that full bodied sound that my Dynavector doesn't do, I was hoping I might be able to find a JICO SAS stylus to go on it to replace the original that came with it, but the closest I can find is LPGear but they don't want to supply them outside of the US or Canada, so I came across the NV55VL 'Vivid line' stylus which looks to be an upgrade on the elliptical, but obviously not at the same level as the JICO SAS. I've ordered one to give it a try, but wondered whether anyone had any experience of them and if so, what they think of them.
    I have used the Shure M55e with its original NOS stylus which was very good but the Jico neo SAS stylus turns it into a very different beast. The two cannot really be compared. With the original Boron cantilevered SAS stylus the M55e was closer to a 2M black in its detail retrieval but not quite as dynamic and live sounding.

There is a new SAS stylus available I believe from Jico with a new cantilever made from zirconia and interestingly the tracking force is similar to the Boron cantilevered SAS. When Jico had issues with obtaining Boron they switched to Ruby and sapphire but obviously they have moved on now to Zirconia which is a material I have no knowledge of but is probably very stiff. Whether it sounds as good as the Boron SAS would be difficult to say but I expect it still sounds very good.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

I've had mine for some time now and I'm actually listening to it now!! I can't remember if mine was ruby or sapphire? JICO claim that they are both identical in specification. I have no idea if one sounds better than the other.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I've had mine for some time now and I'm actually listening to it now!! I can't remember if mine was ruby or sapphire? JICO claim that they are both identical in specification. I have no idea if one sounds better than the other.
    I think don't there was much difference between the Ruby or Sapphire Andy. Reading reviews online sometime back there were no real preferences made for either. However the Ruby and Sapphire were not considered as good as the original Boron cantilever.

The new Zirconia cantilever is interesting as the material is similar to Titanium. Never heard of this being used in a cantilever. It is probably very light in mass and very stiff.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast