+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marantz CD Player Replacement Belt Issues, going bad in a few years.

There is actually a modification for the original belt that I carried out many times in the eighties.
    1. Get some rough sandpaper or something similarly rough.
    2. Sandpaper the outer side of the belt at 90 degrees of the direction of rotation of the belt. You are basically trying to get the belt feel and look rough at the outside.
    3. Now fit the belt back with the outer roughened up side ending on the inside instead. So you need to basically turn it inside out.
    4. Now try it and the drawer will work as good as new.

I'm Ying.

The tray opening and closing is a problem typical of this vinatge. Its a quirk and such temperament requires a heavy dose of patience by the owner.

I have 2 of the 92mkII a Black and Champagne. The Black set was sold 3 weeks ago .

The tray needs a gentle nudge to close or a credit card placed in the slot under the tray and a gentle pull while the OPEN button is pressed sometimes help. It can be so stubborn that I switch off completely and do it over agin the next day. But whenever it reads it will not fail to play and the reward is worth the patiance and loyalty.

Somtimes I use it as a transport by digital into a Marantz NA11s1. About a week back I tried digital into the Marantz SA11s3. Very rewarding Marantz sound that I have second thought of parting with this Champagne set and buy a Marantz SA10.

Will be looking forward to Spectral Mon post on the outcome or causes of the tray problem.

Cheers.

I'm Chris.

Useful post! My much modded PS1 has gone kaput and was wondering if I should get a new/2nd H replacement. Or an Oppo....?
    Chris.

I'm Martin.

Default Marantz CD Player Replacement Belt Issues, going bad in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    The point is they were put in 2 years ago, the player barely used and have gone bad. Surely this can’t be normal.
    That’s partly the problem, little use of the player. The CD tray drive belt sits in the same position on the small diameter motor pulley for an extended period and the rubber hardens very slightly.

After a while the tension on the belt causes it to form to the radius of the small motor pulley, then it slips on the drive pulley.

I’ve changed quite a few CD player tray drive belts with this problem, as soon as the belt is removed you can see the where the belt has distorted. Sometimes it can be rescued by boiling it in hot water for a few minutes to soften in up a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Neil.. don't know if this is relevant

But car tyres are designed to have a 'shelf life', unused, of between 1-5 years if properly stored...

So I'm guessing cd drive belts, also being rubber, might have a similar life... apparently rubber lasts longer when it's actually being used...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12