+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two stereo power amps for Bi-amping or two monoblocks?

I'm Evie.

Default Two stereo power amps for Bi-amping or two monoblocks?

Hi,

Realistically, is it worth bi-amping with two stereo amplifiers (one amplifier per hand side), so that there are all the advantages of avoiding cross talk, more power and only one speaker pulling on the power supply or is the money better invested in two monoblocks (one per speaker)?

LKB

I'm Dave.

Or a better stereo amp. It depends on the amps being considered.

I'm Grant.

And the speakers used
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Basically as per above to replies.
    I will also add that you are better of spending your budget on ONE stereo amp/pair of Mono Blocs as you will then be buying the best you can afford. Rather than splitting the budget across two amps which will invariably be inferior in both performance and SQ.

I'm Pete.

Ive heard of folk using 1 stereo amp for the treble and another for the bass.

I'm James.

Do you.mean two power amps? Oh aye it's in the title
    Last edited by Pieoftheday; 04-03-2020 at 17:17.
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Lawrence.

If they can be bridged then it's a definite yes.

If you can pick them up at a bargain price ie the same as an equivalent power/quality monobloc (to one channel of these) then I'd consider it.

Otherwise I'd go with the "vertical biamp" option mentioned above.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Lekidbongo View Post
    Hi,

Realistically, is it worth bi-amping with two stereo amplifiers (one amplifier per hand side), so that there are all the advantages of avoiding cross talk, more power and only one speaker pulling on the power supply or is the money better invested in two monoblocks (one per speaker)?

LKB
    Can be done either way, two stereo amps gives perhaps more flexibility if frequency division or perhaps 2 of the same or similar speaker is at a later point needed.
    I presently use 2x Quad 306 using one channel per amp for each loudspeaker, and there are advantages in perceived audio reproduction - in areas of stereo width and
    better ability to reproduce music.

I'm Kevan.

It depends how you split the signal . An active crossover between the pre amp and power amp makes a lot of difference. I am using a pair of quad33s one driving esl63 the other driving gradient subs with the gradient active crossover. Separating the signal before the amps gives each less to do and downstream passive crossovers in speakers also don’t affect the signal as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caber10

Main System:
    Thorens TD160 Mk11 , SME 3009 Mk 2 improved, Stanton 681EE
    2 X Quad 33/303 recently fully recapped and serviced
    Quad ESL63 with Gradient SW63
    Cyrus CD1
    Beresford Caiman, Gator board and Dorado
    Chromecast Audio

Bedroom:
    Chromecast auido
    Cyrus 2
    Ackroyd Coniston on stands

Kitchen:
    Chromecast audio
    Chinese valve amp kit
    Boliver model 18 stand mount speakers

Gallery
    Dunlop SystemDek 2X
    GramAmp2 phono stage
    Beresford Bushmaster with output mods
    Chromecast Audio
    CELEF PE1 monitors

I'm Andrew.

In my current active system I am using 2 x Quad 405 Mk 1 (Upgraded by Fidele Audio ) for the amplification of a stacked pair of KEF 103 reference speakers . I have tried the one amp for the bass and one for treble and it works with not issues . However I do find that the sound cleans up and improves when you use a single stereo amplifier per side . If you were to replace this with monobloc amps then you would need four in total one for each side covering bass and treble to each speaker.

With a didgital active crossover you do get the flexibility to use a powerful and controlled monobloc amplifier for the bass which needs to have lots of current . You can then use a much smaller and cheaper monobloc for the treble as there is very little stress or push made on that amplifier. Within the digital C/R you can make adjustments for different amplifier sensitivities or as with the MiniDSP DDRC24 I use it will make all the adjustments automatically through the DSP Dirac Live 2 session.

Personally and I have no justifaction for this I prefer to have two matched amplifiers as close as possible in output and sound hence the use of as near as possible identicaly set up Quad 405,s . I know others who use a wide mixture and we all seem to get the end result to our individual satisfaction .

One comment I would make which over my dive in to the active world is that the quality of the amplifier is of much less importance when you use a digital active c/r . Driving passive speakers through a passive c/r is much harder on the power amplifier than it is when driving individual drive units via an active network . I am sure if cost is no object using the very best amplification you can afford then the final audio quality will be improved but you may be susrprised at how little it changes compared with the very high quality results you can obtain from much more modest power amplifiers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast