+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yamaha CT-7000 FM Tuner

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by robpark9 View Post
    I have both these tuners just got hold of Nat 01 late olive example, what’s the thoughts on comparisons as I love the Yamahas build and quality but know the Nat01 has a good reputation for sound quality, I have a nat05xs at present but it’s not the most three dimensional in sound comparing to an arcam t32, sorry for discussion, buyer will be very happy I’m sure
    You'll need one very strong signal for an 01, which normally means at least a 6 element high up on a chimney, or maybe a G17. I had an 01 for many years following a a 101 until last year, when I sold it after a full Naim refurb. Bought a very cheap NAD from Ebay, and was amazed that, whereas slightly different, I didn't suffer any sonic downgrade on R3 (or Classic FM). Maybe the 01 was more nuanced but the NAD has the better soundstage. However, with Tacolneston (Nfk) mast 9 miles away, maybe my 6 element wasn't quite enough to allow the best from the 01. I used to have a G23 with rotators, but not possible here.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

If you needed an antenna with a greater gain than that for a 6-element Yagi, to receive signals from a mast only 9 miles away, then the Naim 01 must have an absurdly low sensitivity.

I use a 3-element roof mounted Yagi with my Quad FM4, and can quite easily pick up radio stations that are only intended to be heard within London, some 35 miles away.
    Barry

I'm Neil.

The aerial is everything with tuners, there was a time I would have jumped on that yamaha, but I discovered that the digital kenwoods like the 7020 out perform the older analogue ones and the Trough Line, so other than looking nicer and being collectible, whats the point. That range of kenwoods are exceptional tuners and still under appreciated, despite Tuner Info Network being spot on re performance. Yamaha comes in at number 50 and the 5020 kenwood, number 10.

I would still like a big Sansui but the 717 was very underwhelming, so I would be cautious re spending big money though.
    Regards Neil

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    The aerial is everything with tuners, there was a time I would have jumped on that yamaha, but I discovered that the digital kenwoods like the 7020 out perform the older analogue ones and the Trough Line, so other than looking nicer and being collectible, whats the point. That range of kenwoods are exceptional tuners and still under appreciated, despite Tuner Info Network being spot on re performance. Yamaha comes in at number 50 and the 5020 kenwood, number 10.

I would still like a big Sansui but the 717 was very underwhelming, so I would be cautious re spending big money though.
    In answer to the common question, "What is the best tuner?", the answer may well be, "The one connected to the best aerial". Of course it's not that simple, but a good, high aerial makes a helluva lot of difference.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If you needed an antenna with a greater gain than that for a 6-element Yagi, to receive signals from a mast only 9 miles away, then the Naim 01 must have an absurdly low sensitivity.
    I don't know about 'absurdly', Barry, but the 01 is well known as being one of the (if not THE) least sensitive tuners out there. Originally it was claimed that this paucity of sensitivity was one the reasons for its s.q. People with 01s tend to go the Ron Smith Galaxie on 12' steel mast route.

I fully endorse he following comments on the importance of aerials. Oddly enough, my cheap as chips (to me) NAD has a similarly low sensitivity, which surprised me. I would have preferred more gain, esp. on R3. However, s.q. is, again surprisingly, quite superb (but I did read up on that before I bought it).

At the time (late eighties/nineties) some French (or maybe Belgian) stereo FM stations were very engaging when I swung my rotator away from Folkstone and across the channel (about 90 degrees). Guess it was only about 30 to 40 miles to wherever they were transmitting from.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12