+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monoblocks?

I'm Evie.

Default Monoblocks?

Hi

If a Monoblock is exactly the same specification as a stereo power amplifier i.e.100WPC, other than being able to put the amp next to the speaker, what are the advantages?

If the audio power output is current limited, than how does a non-shared power supply benefit a monoblock if the total power draw is limited?

Any enlightenment is greatly appreciated.
    LKB

I'm Alan.

Why would the total power draw be limited?
    The output from any amplifier is limited by its internal supply voltage, plus the 'stiffness' of its supply.

It doesn't really matter if the monoblock or stereo amplifier are rated the same per channel, the supply sag when one stereo channel is driven is always going to affect the other stereo channel.
    The quality of the amplifier circuit design doesn't seem to mitigate against this happening. I have recently converted both Neurochrome Modulus 86 and 286 amplifiers to true dual mono, with independent power supplies and have experienced much wider stereo imaging as a result.

I'm James.

Intrigued Alan, as I am about to embark on a similar path but with preamps. Did you find that the separation was better than with a simple shared supply, or a shared supply with separate reservoir caps and resistors, or irrespective?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Chris.

I concur there are always sound quality improvements where mono block construction is used.
    My own system uses 2 x Quad 306 where i use just one channel of each amp for each speaker.

Yes any separation of channels, or indeed separation of individual sections that see dedicated
    circuitry related to the actual task is always worthwhile.

As for output power being current limited, Yes there is advantage in amplifiers being current driven rather than voltage driven.
    Correctly rather than series resistance toward the loudspeaker, as a current source representing the audio output, a current driven
    amplifier would have method of sensing the load, based on the requirements of the loudspeaker
    https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...omment-4416252

I'm Andrew.

The advantages of Monobloc Amplifiers is in the main that they suffer from zero cross talk as they are fully seperated and independant . Other advantages are that one amplifier is not affected when the other has a draw on its power supply as explained in the above threads.

There is also the advantage that monoblocs can be placed very close to your speakers and connected by short speaker cables (provided you have a pre amp that can drive long phono leads) . The best cable is no cable but if it has to be there then the shortest speaker cable is the best solution (it also makes the cost of cable lower) .

I also think that all the monobloc amps I have heard have an element of control to the sound which may weel be due to the tighter grip they have on the speaker as they only have to deal with one speaker rather than two . After that I must admit I am at a loss for further advantages .

I'm Grant.

I use amps that are mono-ed too. Mine have added advantage of a vc on each which allows me to adjust output for off centre listening as well as the other stuff mentioned
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

I have a "dual mono" amp. That is, two completely independent amps in one box. Would it sound different if I put a channel into another box? I doubt it...

More important is the power supply itself, rather than the box(es).

Another observation is that monoblocks tend to be at the higher end of a range, and are more likely to have bigger power supplies vs. stereo equivalents.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Mike.

I've had monobloc amps for too long to cast an opinion. My only vaguely comparable 'test' was when a friend brought round his 899 E.A.R. amp and we alternated between my E.A.R. 509s into big Quad ESLs and with E.A.R. pre-amplification. Very very similar, but more control and 'rightness' was detected by all with the mono's, and maybe a wider soundstage/imaging etc.

On another note (!) since I read somewhere that these audio items should be called 'monoblocs' rather than 'monoblocks' (and it gave a reason which currently escapes me), I've omitted the 'k'. I noticed above that BENCAT has done likewise, and it's rare to come across this.

Anybody know what and why the correct terminology is? Pedantry, maybe, but surely there can only be one spelling.

I'm Grant.

both mean the same... think the french use the c
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    I've had monobloc amps for too long to cast an opinion. My only vaguely comparable 'test' was when a friend brought round his 899 E.A.R. amp and we alternated between my E.A.R. 509s into big Quad ESLs and with E.A.R. pre-amplification. Very very similar, but more control and 'rightness' was detected by all with the mono's, and maybe a wider soundstage/imaging etc.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast