+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Naim, Exposure and upgrades for amplification...

I'm Evie.

Default Naim, Exposure and upgrades for amplification...

Hi,
    I have had the pleasure of using both Naim and Exposure equipment, sadly at the more affordable end. My questions are entirely based on AMPLIFICATION only.

The Naim upgrade path gets very expensive quickly, whereas the exposure is more modest in its pricing. I like the sound of both but I have to wonder if it is worth investing in Naim or is it a case of very expensive diminishing returns for the money?

Equally, will the following the exposure route lead to a much more limited hi-fi experience and only make we wish I had ploughed the money into Naim from the start?

Any enlightenment is greatly appreciated.

LKB

I'm Rob.

IMO it's all about synergy. If you can get that right it doesn't matter whether you are using an integrated, monobollocks, valve or a converted hoover. It can take years to realise that box swapping and ever increasing cost is a fruitless exercise....chasing that elusive sound that really only exits in your head. In the last week I have resurrected some cheapo DIY Class D amps and with the speakers bi-amped it sounds ridiculously good. I have heard far worse at shows where the price tags for each item was eye watering. Mind you everybody else tells me it sounds like shit!
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Phil.

the supernait 2 is an absolutely superb amp , this is now superceded by the sn3 , unlike some manufacturers the increase in price is less than 300 quid which is rather impressive . it can all get silly though when you go further up the chain
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Shane.

Exposure is better value. Similar sound and more refined.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I only have experience of their veteran ranges rather than their modern ones but would vote Exposure every time. There's more pump, thump, ting and pzazz.

Pete

I'm Neil.

Exposure every day for me. My first experience being a 2010S integrated stomping all over a Naim Nait 5i.

Consider that for the price of a SN3, one can purchase a 3010S2D preamp, and a 3010S2D stereo power amp.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm rep.

S/H Naim usually free hi-fi as much of it an easy resell.

Lots of service options too.

I'm Mike.

Forget about Naim upgrades, £300 power supply for an amp costing the same money? (used), best upgrade for Naim is ANOTHER brand.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Karl.

This will be dependent on which amp you have. But , Have you thought about sending your NAIM amp off to Avondale audio for an overhaul? Or even buying some of his boards and doing it yourself? I put his boards in my old NAIM amp and the difference was staggering. I bought the boards used for £100 on here and did the swap myself(it’s a very simple straight swap that anybody can do) and to my ears it was easily better than a Nap 250. I think they retail for £350. A very cheap upgrade IMO.

He has a couple of much better boards available now and you will never have to service them unless you keep them for 25-30 years , unlike NAIM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

+ Reply to Thread