I spent the weekend clearing out some of the HiFi gear that I'd amassed over the years, and stumbled across this CD player which I bought second hand not long ago. Never switched it on before, so I decided to grease / oil a few things in the transport and powered it up (with a step-down as it's a US model).

After a few hours of operation I sat down for a proper listen with some well-known albums of mine, and was pleasantly surprised! I always thought that CD players of the late eighties / early nineties would age terribly, but this one really hasn't. Compared to my CD6005 the Nakamichi manages to dig out more detail, but with a less harsh, more full-bodied presentation.

I was going to stick this on eBay with a load of other old gear I need to get rid of, but I'm in two minds now.... especially as it surely can't be worth much these days...?

Has anyone ever heard one of these? Would a modestly priced DAC / Transport such as an Apollo-R / DAC-R combination beat this hands down on the capability front? My point of reference is limited by only being able to compare it with my budget Marantz.