+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Extending turntable output leads ?

I'm steve.

Default Extending turntable output leads ?

In a couple of days I will be getting a new amp, a Rega Brio. With my previous amp I used an outboard phono stage but I would like to use in onboard stage in the Brio, problem is that where my amp is positioned is well beyond the reach of the captive output leads on my Planar 3. What I’d like to know, is adding an extension to the cable of approximately 2M going to impact the SQ of my cartridge ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Adding a couple of metres of cable to those from the cartridge will add about 200pF to the cartridge loading. Depending on the cartridge used, this should not make a difference, but I would use good quality cables using good quality copper.
    Barry

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Adding a couple of metres of cable to those from the cartridge will add about 200pF to the cartridge loading. Depending on the cartridge used, this should not make a difference, but I would use good quality cables using good quality copper.
    Cartridge is a Goldring E3 MM.

I'm Gordon.

I also require a long length of cable from TT to Pre of approx 3M and have used Van Damme microphone cable (as used in the lead out interconnect from Audio Origami tone arms) for many years. In all this time I have never experienced any problems with any of the cartridges I have used, whether MC or MM (and even a London Decca).

See: https://www.vdctrading.com/shop/van-...lue-per-metre/

Hope this may help.

According to Goldring the recommended load capacitance for the E3 is 100-200pF, which your current phonostage + turntable leads is likely to be providing already.

Adding an additional 200pF could bring the high frequency resonance down to ~12.5kHz and into the audio band. It therefore follows that if you want to extend the turntable leads you ought to use coaxial cable having the lowest capacitance per unit length: something like a foam-dielectric 75 Ohm TV cable.
    Barry

I'm steve.

Since starting this thread I’ve been hunting round in my cable drawer (we all have one or more don’t we ?) and managed to find a double RCA 1.5M long extension lead that I bought from Maplin about 3-4 years ago, it’s one of their own brand cables (male and female plugs emblazoned with their logo), it looks superficially to be good quality, decent thickness cable and gold plated plugs although I’ve no idea as to the technical specifications. As I’ve already got it I’ll certainly give it a try although it may not be quite long enough.

I'm Gary.

Hi Barry,

If I read the op’s requirements is he thinking of adding a female to mail connector as his existing Rega lead is fixed?

I’ve never used a coaxial cable for any of my interconnects, am I missing a trick, I have always checked resistance and capacitance of cables I have used?

What’s specific around coax that makes it more suitable?

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    According to Goldring the recommended load capacitance for the E3 is 100-200pF, which your current phonostage + turntable leads is likely to be providing already.

Adding an additional 200pF could bring the high frequency resonance down to ~12.5kHz and into the audio band. It therefore follows that if you want to extend the turntable leads you ought to use coaxial cable having the lowest capacitance per unit length: something like a foam-dielectric 75 Ohm TV cable.
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Since starting this thread I’ve been hunting round in my cable drawer (we all have one or more don’t we ?) and managed to find a double RCA 1.5M long extension lead that I bought from Maplin about 3-4 years ago, it’s one of their own brand cables (male and female plugs emblazoned with their logo), it looks superficially to be good quality, decent thickness cable and gold plated plugs although I’ve no idea as to the technical specifications. As I’ve already got it I’ll certainly give it a try although it may not be quite long enough.
    Yes - give it a try and see how you get on.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Hi Barry,

If I read the op’s requirements is he thinking of adding a female to mail connector as his existing Rega lead is fixed?

I’ve never used a coaxial cable for any of my interconnects, am I missing a trick, I have always checked resistance and capacitance of cables I have used?

What’s specific around coax that makes it more suitable?

Gary
    Hi Gary,

I mentioned the use of 75Ohm TV cable as it usually has a foam dielectric (or in some cases an air-spaced centre conductor), which means the cable will have a lower capacitance/unit length than those cable employing a solid dielectric.

Most audio coaxial cables have a capacitance of ~100pF/metre. If the addition of more capacitance to the cartridge load impedance proves to be a problem, then one needs to minimise this additional capacitance, hence the suggestion of using TV coax cable.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread