+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I killed my brand new Croft Series 7 :(

I'm Alfie.

Default I think I killed my brand new Croft Series 7 :(

Hi Folks,

My Croft Series 7 arrived today to go with my Croft RIAA and Croft 25 Line Only (Zero Gain).

It was all sounding lovely using a digital source when I decided to switch to vinyl.

Perhaps I didn’t do things in the right order, but I switched the 25 to Phono (another line in on my 25) and turned on the RIAA. The RIAA doesn’t have a power on delay and immediately caused crackling and popping out of both speakers. After that, no sound from the Series 7 at all and verified that other power amps work fine. So clearly the 7 is bust although it might be a fault with the RIAA or 25 that caused it.

I’ve swapped valves in the 7 and no joy still.

Any ideas? I’ve emailed Glenn and Adrian at Audio Flair (Adrian is brilliant) but I am impatient for some opinions as my weekend of listening is now spoiled, unfortunately.

Thanks all.

I'm Brian.

Check the fuses at the back Alfie . I did something similar to mine and I had blown one ( or more ? ) of the fuses .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Alfie.

Thanks, I’ll check them.

Can it really be true that turning on the RIAA will always blow a fuse? There was often a little pop here and there when the RIAA and 25 were feeding a Quad 303 but never any damage done.

I'm Brian.

Sorry don't know the answer to that question .I would check the fuses first though .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andre.

Sorry to hear this. I see you are in Sheff, Doesnt everyone have Linn/Naim/Rega in Sheffield
    Last edited by Made in 1968; 01-03-2020 at 17:16.

I'm Alfie.

Ha, I live less than a mile from the reason you say that. Plenty of reasons I went with Croft, I’m not writing it off yet by any means.

Not about to spend 5k on a system that doesn’t sound as good!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by beadlesabout View Post
    Thanks, I’ll check them.

Can it really be true that turning on the RIAA will always blow a fuse? There was often a little pop here and there when the RIAA and 25 were feeding a Quad 303 but never any damage done.
    No, you can switch inputs as you wish. I always turn down the volume when I do that or mute, as I do with any amp, to avoid noises.

Crofts are pretty well bullet proof, so check the fuses on rear.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

I would just wait and see what Glenn come's back with, there will undoubtably be a rational explanation, the Croft series is know to be pretty reliable, and i doubt very much that it is an inherent design fault.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Martin.

I had the same issue when I had a Series 7. It will be a fuse needs replacing that's all. You do need to be careful about what order you switch them on to avoid it happening again.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Just a thought, nothing to base this on : It is possible if the RIAA is capacitor coupled that the cap is failing allowing DC through and this is what has blown the amp if it doesn't have a cap coupled input. I'm pretty certain the 303 does have a cap on the input which would protect it. I'd be inclined to get it serviced or at least to measure DC across the output terminals of the RIAA during startup. Any cheap meter will do for this, it shouldn't show anything beyond a small momentary blip.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast