+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I think I killed my brand new Croft Series 7 :(

I'm Shane.

I'd never waste my money on anything built by Glenn Croft.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by beadlesabout View Post
    Dave, I wrote the message above before seeing yours. I’m not against Croft in any way.
    One of the reasons I have sold Croft for almost 40 years is that it is very reliable. No sense in stocking gear that's always going wrong and I could give names of brands which are like that.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998_mk2 View Post
    I'd never waste my money on anything built by Glenn Croft.

S.
    And how many Croft items have you heard or owned ?

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    And how many Croft items have you heard or owned ?
    For your information, many! Always sounded 'meh' to my ears.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    An ex dealer, who did Croft, kept demo units of the full range and had significant reliability issues with his demo stock, I think by the end of his doing them he had about 45% reliability issues, pre, powers, phono stage. In my view this is way too high.

Way too hair shirt and I agree that putting safety features in place sensible, leaving them out way too risky.

Of course Croft have their worshippers, followers and Glenn can do no wrong people, and I am not saying they don’t sound good, but such a high failure rate among demo stock, isn’t good and the op should not be having this experience and in all my use of valve gear I have never had such problems, but I don’t own Croft, and nor would I.

Yes sources first, phono, pre then power switch on and that in reverse is the way things should be done, but having to do this as an absolute because gear is that fragile, really isn’t great.
    45% - Really??
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998_mk2 View Post
    For your information, many! Always sounded 'meh' to my ears.

S.
    If a Croft sounds 'Meh' then it's either tired valves or a very badly matched system in my experience. Apart from some of the slightly softer toned original 80's stuff (Series 4 power amps usually) which still let the music details through, I don't remember any of his products sounding 'meh' and *certainly not* the current models, which sound quite lively to me, even into older Harbeths............

To the OP, if Glenn can fit a delay or soft-start feature into the phono stage with no sonic penalty, I'd recommend suggesting he fits it as routine in production, as who knows who's going to own the stuff in the future and not everyone knows what to do in terms of using the stuff.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    This is getting way out of hand. I have been selling Croft products since the early 80s and it has always been amongst the most reliable equipment I have stocked. This latest 25 + 7 range has been with me for approx 12 years and in all that time I haven't had a single fault apart from a couple of fuses and a noisy valve. That's pretty good going and I do sell a lot.

What has happened is that the OP has switched on the three items in the wrong order and in doing so you would expect problems as you might with any system. Always switch on source first, then pre and then power. If the pre and power are working and then the RIAA source is switched on, the noises generated can cause a problem, in this case just a blown fuse. Replace that and job done.
    I am relaying true information and not making things up. The phono stage even came faulty out of the box, I was there, it was a simple fault but it was faulty. One item fine Glenn distracted and made a mistake, but a number of items, nope poor.

I get it your sell his stuff and others worship his gear, but what I have said is true and can be proved. So no libel or defamation only cold facts.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    45% - Really??
    Yes.

Series 7 pre, two stereo power, and a phono stage, out of the demo stock. I said to the dealer he should send the whole lot back, but he took another path. I felt crap about this as when he had been looking for brands I mentioned Croft as one to look at. He was ok about it, I felt very embarrassed.
    Regards Neil

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    I am relaying true information and not making things up. The phono stage even came faulty out of the box, I was there, it was a simple fault but it was faulty. One item fine Glenn distracted and made a mistake, but a number of items, nope poor.

I get it your sell his stuff and others worship his gear, but what I have said is true and can be proved. So no libel or defamation only cold facts.
    Lets hear the proof then from this dealer rather than hearsay from you.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by beadlesabout View Post
    Dave, I wrote the message above before seeing yours. I’m not against Croft in any way.
    I am not either, but what happened to you should not have and Glenn knowing it could have is crazy.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast