+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rega 24v motor upgrade

I'm Mike.

Default Rega 24v motor upgrade

As some of you may know my journey with Rega started a few years ago after I bought a 70's Planar 3, since then the deck has undergone many upgrades and improvements to a point where the only thing left of the original deck is the baring.

My latest upgrade and it is a definite upgrade and not simply a change is the new 24v motor and TT PSU the latter allowing me to change speed without the need to take the platter off and swap the belt over. i have known for some time that the original 240v motor was on it's last legs as the speed stability was a bit wayward and it made a hell of a noise but the change is startling and the TT PSU further improves not only the motor noise to a point now where it literally doesn't exist, but also speed stability which is a rock steady 33.34 rpm.

My only criticism was the quality of the soldering to the motor control board, on unpacking the motor 2 wires broke loose and on further inspection the soldering was less than perfect so everything got re done just in case. The motor cost me £130 which in any other hobby but this would be expensive but even so i would have expected a better quality of finish.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Andre.

I did that mod to my old Rega 'Planet' TT. I could not hear a difference. I just do not do upgrades anymore. Another was upgrading my Arcam 'CD72' to 'CD92' status.. I Dunno i must be totally Deaf or summert

I'm Martin.

I fitted the kit to my brother's long neglected 1980s Planar 3, although I like the RB 300 I was never particularly a fan of the deck, but the motor upgrade transformed it, the best sound I've heard from an old Rega, I thought it was bargain for £130 and probably a worthwhile upgrade to any old Rega up to and including the 25, I fitted a VM95E and my nephew now has a very nice sounding deck for just over £170 to go along with his discovery of vinyl.

I'm Dave.

I've fitted dozens of Rega 24v motor upgrade kits and never had any quality issues at all. You were unlucky.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I've fitted dozens of Rega 24v motor upgrade kits and never had any quality issues at all. You were unlucky.
    Probably, to be honest the PCB was an easy fix and the motor doesn't have those wings like the old one which makes fitting it to my SRM Tech silent base a lot easier

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Dave.

It's a well thought out, very effective mod.

+ Reply to Thread