+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Putting together a good cheap system

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998_mk2 View Post
    I've stopped chasing after expensive gear ages ago.

Nowadays, I use entry level amps/speakers etc that sounds good enough to my ears. The most important thing, is to be happy, screw what the haters say!!

But as always, trust your ears!

S.
    Here Here Shane, Most enthusiast are up their own arses looking down on cheap gear, They can feed you as much Bull shite as they want to justify themselves.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Im one of these that have been doing Hi-Fi for donkies years, When i had loads of money in my younger days i went thru Equipment like changing socks. I no long do this because i find the hobby a utter bore these days & of the many modern offerings ive been well disappointed beyond belief.

So then spending money on an hobby i feel i no longer have any interest in other using it as a tool aint gonna happen. For awhile now i have been trying to put a good sounding system together out of 2nd Hand equipment that sounds good to my ears. These days i have a very short Concentration Threshold hence i just listen to the music & not the stereo [Like normal human beings are suppose to do] The stereo has to be aesthetically acceptable in a modern minimalist living room hence has to fall inline with that [No old looking Vintage]

Believe me i totally recommend this, Hi-Fi is a mugs game imho.. but not worth the back fire from the mugs themselves.

Up to yet:

Source: PC Based FLAC [Already bought this years ago but never used the PC much £0 just the price of a new SSD installed.
    Amplifier: ARCAM 'Alpha Mk.II' £49
    Loudspeakers: KEF 'Cantor II' £35

I was thinking about another turntable to match but i cant say i really liked many decks & besides i do not really have any interest in Vinyl anymore plus people always take the piss with prices like Vinyl is some kind of Elitist thing Besides they take too much room up.

Small footprint stereo just put on the sideboard use & forget is where im at..The PC does not need to be anywhere near the Amplifier. I did consider the matching CDP, but CDP are short term cos they are unreliable long term & i certainly do not want that or having to get involved in this boring hobby a few years down the line plus the fact im bone idle & don't want to be handling CDs. where as PCs are a part of everyone's lives, The world is geared up to a PC
    Sounds like you could do with a new hobby, like gardening or cat grooming. If you went down the garden route (path?) there are no end of activities to keep you occupied. I imagine gnome-painting would be very therapeutic. And if you feel the need to let off some steam you can always join one of the gardening forums and get stuck into the whole Flymo vs Qualcast furore.

Could still end up costly though. Cat-grooming on the other hand could be done quite cheaply, just a brush, and a bottle of TCP for the scratches. It could even be a bit of an earner, just a card in the newsagent's window

I'm happy just where I am, and will continue to enjoy records and CDs as long as my legs are able to get my lazy arse off the sofa. And I couldn't care less if this is a 'niche' interest, in fact I prefer it that way
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Andre.

I could go train spotting but there is no trains left..

btw: Hi-Fi is not my Hobby i cant stand the farce, I listen to music, you know what you actually buy a stereo for!

I'm David.

btw: Hi-Fi is not my Hobby i cant stand the farce, I listen to music, you know what you actually buy a stereo for!
    Yet you've rejoined a Hi-Fi forum and have posted (to date) 1349 times since January 2020

I'm Steve.

I could go train spotting but there is no trains left..

It's not the reason I bought a stereo, I bought it so I can just look at it when there's nothing on the telly. I don't even switch it on any more, not since my smart meter told me I'm wasting my money.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by mr sneff View Post
    Yet you've rejoined a Hi-Fi forum and have posted (to date) 1349 times since January 2020
    Typical Repetitive Reply

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    It's not the reason I bought a stereo, I bought it so I can just look at it when there's nothing on the telly. I don't even switch it on any more, not since my smart meter told me I'm wasting my money.
    Dont worry thats what Hi-Fi enthusiast do innit?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by mr sneff View Post
    I just use my ignore option on certain people who joined in Jan 2020 and post very frequently so I don’t read the drivel.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I just use my ignore option on certain people who joined in Jan 2020 and post very frequently so I don’t read the drivel.

Gary
    Yeh your Dross posts aint much different are they?

btw: I joined in 2008 to be accurate

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post

Gary
    How on earth did this post get through to me? Only kidding buddy, I wouldn't do that! I welcome all posts, some actually make me feel better about my own mental state

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast