+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LP12 Set up in Cambridgeshire / Northamptonshire

I'm Andre.

Special Jig lol I used a old Sound Organisation Turntable stand with the board removed.

Shame you couldny have listened to the deck before service with just the new belt changed

Russ Andrews published a paper on how to set up one of those decks, it cost nothing to read.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Special Jig lol I used a old Sound Organisation Turntable stand with the board removed.

Shame you couldny have listened to the deck before service with just the new belt changed

Russ Andrews published a paper on how to set up one of those decks, it cost nothing to read.
    You'd do well not to place complete faith in Russ Andrews....

Pretty funny (lol) you would use him as an example when attempting to discredit my post...

Irony is wasted on some....
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Chris.

Apologies to the OP, I was genuinely just giving my experience to help.
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Phil.

Apparently the springs get twisted when adjusted and can settle some 24 hours later so need readjusting and checking again in another 24 hours , so needs setting up at home really, i heard a mk3 lingo circus with a jelco and cadenza blue , sounded great warm and musical , but how can they charge
    2.5k for a power supply , and 1.5k for an aluminium plate with slots cut out , the prices are silly . phil.
    Phil.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanobsession View Post
    Apparently the springs get twisted when adjusted and can settle some 24 hours later so need readjusting and checking again in another 24 hours , so needs setting up at home really, i heard a mk3 lingo circus with a jelco and cadenza blue , sounded great warm and musical , but how can they charge
    2.5k for a power supply , and 1.5k for an aluminium plate with slots cut out , the prices are silly . phil.
    Yup Linn prices are obscene.

There are loads of non-Linn aftermarket products that do the job just as well and in some cases better. I use a Mose power supply. From memory it was £250 and gives you 33.3/45 option without pulley change.

It also moves all the power circuits from the LP12 to an external box.
    Fabulous upgrade too.

I'm Russell.

Default LP12 Set up in Cambridgeshire / Northamptonshire

Thanks to all for your input and genuinely no offence retaken to any posts. That’s why I asked for people’s opinions and it’s great to hear diverse views.

Whilst I appreciate valid points regarding having someone like Peter set my Sondek up to obtain the maximum performance from it, I think I’m more at the stage of spending £60-£70 on it to have someone spend 45 mins or so to set suspension rather than 3-4hrs and £300-400 or whatever to complete overhaul it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

Sorry but meant to add that I’m using a Lingo 1 supply so not looking to upgrade that either as it’s fine for what I need

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeman1973 View Post
    Sorry but meant to add that I’m using a Lingo 1 supply so not looking to upgrade that either as it’s fine for what I need

Nothing wrong with the Lingo, it's very good.

Also I think your decision is sensible. To be fair it was south of 200 to have it completely setup but circumstances dictated (1yr old running about!) that I can't have carte Blanche to be tweaking an LP12 for hours on end!

Needed it done once and right!

Hope you find someone to set it up for you, as you know there's lots of knowledgeable and helpful folk in here, I'm sure you'll get more responses.

Good luck!

I'm Martin.

I think Peter from Cymbiosis has published an extensive set of documents to allow anyone to diy if they wish. They’re on his site I believe.

Here you go https://www.cymbiosis.com/downloads/

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeman1973 View Post
    Thanks to all for your input and genuinely no offence retaken to any posts. That’s why I asked for people’s opinions and it’s great to hear diverse views.

Whilst I appreciate valid points regarding having someone like Peter set my Sondek up to obtain the maximum performance from it, I think I’m more at the stage of spending £60-£70 on it to have someone spend 45 mins or so to set suspension rather than 3-4hrs and £300-400 or whatever to complete overhaul it.

I've been setting up LP12s since the 70s and never feel the need to charge more than £60 or so. I set up, tweak and leave for at least 24 hours, then check and if necessary, tweak again.

Charging hundreds is not really on and I've seen some which were worked on by 'official Linn' dealers which were abysmal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast