+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open plan living space speakers.

I'm Andre.

I used to have an heavy Bass problem with some Spendor 'SP-1'. Maybe they be good in a large room.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninety4degrees View Post
    We live in a open plan living space 8m x 8m - (for want of a better phrase) a with a vaulted ceiling.

Just looking for some inspiration really.
    A room that big will be very tricky, especially with lots of reflective walls, glass and a vaulted ceiling. I would get plenty of nice rugs down on the floor for a start, and then some simple panels and hanging modern tapestries on the walls to break up the reflective areas. The vaulted ceiling may be an issue as it may act as a sponge to the sound although if at an oblique angle may be of benefit if not too high. I would play around with furnishings first to get the best you can with what you have before shelling out on speakers.

You might want to download REW software not a laptop and take some simple measurements with the sine wave sweep using a USB microphone to get some idea of how the room behaves. I would measure at the normal listening position and then try other positions and compare, you will soon see drop off areas in the frequency range. You can then try some soft furnishings as above and repeat the measurements and see/hear hopefully improvements.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Simon.

Thanks All, we do have a couple of rugs down however I think it's fair to say wall hangings/tapestries are not getting past my wife.
    The room is modern with some ply paneling in some areas and the ceiling, we have a number of surface faces and angles.
    REW type software might be an idea to see whats good and bad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12