+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Digital/Electronic Piano Advice

I'm Grant.

best option is a player piano...i want one.lol used to be a piano bar in town many years ago and when the piano player got pissed and didnt turn up we used to pretent to play it... great fun and kept the boozer open and legal as it had to have live music
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Alex, I know the worst thing we can do is 'pressure' our kids to keep up the playing, but getting her something nice to practice on will hopefully keep her keen. Most of us on here will wish they'd learned an instrument earlier in life, and it is my one regret that I didn't learn piano. Been telling myself I'm too old to start learning since I was about 30!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

She did lose interest for a while, but we changed teacher a few months ago and she’s been doing so much better and enjoying it since (and practicing!) so hopefully a decent instrument will help her further. I used to “play” keyboards, but only really bad 80’s synth when I was a teenager, I too would love to learn to play properly and might give it a go with lessons - never too late to learn I guess?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    best option is a player piano...i want one.lol used to be a piano bar in town many years ago and when the piano player got pissed and didnt turn up we used to pretent to play it... great fun and kept the boozer open and legal as it had to have live music
    No - not really!

It's not a big deal to fix up a piano with a Midi interface to play almost anything - fool the "audience" into thinking you're Horowitz, Ellington, or Art Tatum - come back to life that is!

Also, many of these do have internal memory, so can play back - including all your mistakes! Might be good for learning - or alternatively dispiriting.

Re being too old - I don't think so. I knew a retired person who became a piano teacher and learned pretty much from scratch I think he made it to the high end grades. 60 or so is not too old to start, but one issue is whether people are concerned about other people "listening in". That of course can be overcome to some extent with headphones - which some people find helpful, and using cans could enable one to practice in the middle of the night.

However, another factor which may be a disadvantage is not the mental aspect but the sheer physical problems - muscles and arthritis - which can put a rather severe damper on trying to learn.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

my mum learned when she was in 50's.. she wasnt great but could play tunes so yes, fitness permitting no reason not to try. im not much use with a piano.big stubby hands and a stubby brain dont help
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Thanks guys - yes, needs to be a fully weighted 88 key one. I think most of them have midi, and I have a few bits and bobs (software and hardware) which we could use, so it is more about the actual keyboard itself. There used to be a really good piano/keyboard shop locally but it closed down - however I see the seller of that Korg is actually local, so would make sense to see if we can go and view it. Hoping to check a Yamaha one from eBay out tomorrow evening as well.
    MIDI tint Software, Its just a digital interface that uses a standard 5 Pin Din connector lead. However MIDI is not used much these days its USB.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Default Digital/Electronic Piano Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    MIDI tint Software, Its just a digital interface that uses a standard 5 Pin Din connector lead. However MIDI is not used much these days its USB.
    Yep, I understand that - but I have some software (Reason, Protools etc) which will run on a connected PC and a couple of synths/modules which will run via MIDI, using the new piano as the controller keyboard. The more I think about it I think going for a more simple “piano” like that Korg is the best option.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

So, thanks again for all your advice - which I've completely ignored!

Just won this on eBay, which I think ticks the right boxes and at £200 is a stonking bargain, assuming it all works as it should...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Casio-Cel...rdt=true&rt=nc

Collection only from Norfolk, but only just over an hour away. Hoping they'll be able to let us collect tomorrow afternoon - I'm decorating the "music room" today in readiness!
    Alex

I'm Grant.

looks good. casio stuff is good.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

It does seem to tick all the boxes, nice one.

I recently went through choosing a good first piano myself for my daughter, who's just started lessons. I just wanted the keys that react to how hard you hit them, nothing too serious in case she gives up in the first year. Got a decent Yamaha with stand and seat for £60, no pedals but if she's still playing in a year we can look at upgrading and shouldn't lose any money.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast