+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SME no longer selling or supplying their arms, except on their turntables.

I'm Neil.

Default SME no longer selling or supplying their arms, except on their turntables.

I heard this yesterday and I was shocked by this news. I think this a mistake and can’t imagine SME can sell enough packages to make up for lost sales of separate tonearms to dealers and other turntable companies who use SME tonearms.

Its old news, was announced late last year, but as it hasn’t been mentioned here I thought I would link to it.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content...e-arm-business

https://www.stereonet.co.uk/news/sme...nearm-business
    Regards Neil

I'm Nigel.

I think Jerry posted about this in early December.

I'm Dave.

Maybe the ridiculous price hike, a couple of years ago, has really hurt their sales and this is a way of increasing their arm and turntable sales ? If you want an SME arm, you have to buy their turntable.

I'm Adrian.

I think this is a result of the new ownership of the business by "Ajay Shirke is a British businessman and the Chairman (amongst other things) of Cadence Audio SA which owns the businesses of Audio Lounge Ltd and also includes British-based Spendor Audio Systems, Siltech and Crystal Cable BV from the Netherlands." from Wiki and also the recent acquisition of Garrard. Based on this and his experience in the industry you could assume he wants to shut down the door on other turntable manufactures benefiting from using SME arms and enable SME to persuade customers that the total solution offered from an SME TT/Arm or Garrard with SEM arm is the best value on the market.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylspinner View Post
    I think Jerry posted about this in early December.
    I looked and didn’t see anything on it, which I thought was odd
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I think this is a result of the new ownership of the business by "Ajay Shirke is a British businessman and the Chairman (amongst other things) of Cadence Audio SA which owns the businesses of Audio Lounge Ltd and also includes British-based Spendor Audio Systems, Siltech and Crystal Cable BV from the Netherlands." from Wiki and also the recent acquisition of Garrard. Based on this and his experience in the industry you could assume he wants to shut down the door on other turntable manufactures benefiting from using SME arms and enable SME to persuade customers that the total solution offered from an SME TT/Arm or Garrard with SEM arm is the best value on the market.
    Nods, I agree.

I recall Cadence well from the early 90s, ugly, crudely made and ok sound. Who would have thought Cadence would be where they are now.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Jerry’s thread here, just found it. Missed it first time round.

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...nearm-Business
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread