+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resurrected Mission 775SM Turntable

I'm Tim.

Default Resurrected Mission 775SM Turntable

At long last I now have a Mission 775 SM turntable - thanks Michael W (aka outitgoaz on ebay) for the deck.

I have added

Zeta tonearm with VDH silver wire - an upgrade over the 774SM originally specified for the deck but by the same firm (GB Tools)
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cart
    New shiny shoes - some sorbothane feet that look a bit tidier than the original hemispherical feet
    Mission clamp and sorbothane mat

Plugged it all in last night and its wicked. I'm stoked.

Also showing photo of my other vintage/semi-vintage gear

Gryphon Elektra preamp plus Orestes phonostage
    Albarry M608 monoblocks
    Dynaudio Audience 70s plus Mission 78S sub

Plus other decks

Thorens TD125 - re-potted into mahogany plnth (with zeta arm plus transfiguration axia cart)
    Thorens TD126 - re-potted into brown shiny plinth (matches the Gryphon perfectly) plus Mission Mechanic arm plus Cadenza Blue

Like a vintage car guy - you can't have too many turntables! Well, I have no room for any more anyway.

Cheers

Spicoli66
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Andre.

Great decks those '775' one of my favs. There was three different versions that came with the three Mission arms at the time '774'/'774LC'/'774SM'. However the 'Zeta' & 'indeed the '774SM' Seemed to me to be too much of a battleship kind of arm for the deck, just looked too much to me, but that's just my view..

If i remember a version was made in Canada & i know you could get it in a white/cream finish which looked cool. I do still have a soft spot for the very first incarnation with the Hammerite type finish.

I see you removed the three original Sorbothane feet from the deck!! obviously for cosmetic reasons rendering the deck less immune to vibration as carried on with the Mission 'Isoplat' The feet originally had a thin ceramic cup attached but was later dropped.

I'm Kenji.

Another 775 fan here.

I've got a Grace G707 arm on my 775S - wondering if I should cannabalize a Planar 3 for the RB300 arm?

And just what is the difference between the 775SM and 775S? The specs look identical...

I'm mark.

The RB300 has a threaded post, possibly not the best match with the 775sm's collet? Best I had mine was the original 774, however I didn't have Mechanics back then

I thought the 775s was much lighter built, the SM has (the best) massive bearing I've seen and lead periphery ringed 2 piece platter.

I'm Kenji.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    The RB300 has a threaded post, possibly not the best match with the 775sm's collet? Best I had mine was the original 774, however I didn't have Mechanics back then

I thought the 775s was much lighter built, the SM has (the best) massive bearing I've seen and lead periphery ringed 2 piece platter.
    The S has the same platter and bearing as the SM. The SM came with an arm, the S without. Not sure why the plinths were made slightly differently - to handle different arms in the S, I presume?

+ Reply to Thread