+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A History of KEF Speakers

I'm Robert.

Default A History of KEF Speakers

Thought this might be of interest.

I know this British speaker builder has a long history and have made some regarded speakers over the years. There are owners here for sure .... https://www.whathifi.com/features/a-...concept-blades
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Steve.

Interesting indeed. Last time I was in Kent I visited Leeds Castle, should have gone there instead. I wonder if the museum ever plays any of them for the visitors?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Andre.

I only started really liking kEF in the late 70's models where they were using the Triangular shape drives,

I'm Martyn.

Interesting, but not as comprehensive as I’d hoped.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

If you are really interested in the history of KEF speakers, then there is this, somewhat pricy, coffee table book:

https://us.kef.com/kef-book-50-years...-in-sound.html

A friend of mine has a copy and it makes for very interesting reading, along with some great photographs of the development of all of the KEF speakers.
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

My Favourite speakers of all time were the kef r107 top of the line. I loved them but sold them when moving to Spain. Saw a pair for sale a year back with refoam (the design led to bass driver sag)and should have pulled the gun.

Sent from my Aquaris X Pro using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Rohan.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If you are really interested in the history of KEF speakers, then there is this, somewhat pricy, coffee table book:

https://us.kef.com/kef-book-50-years...-in-sound.html

A friend of mine has a copy and it makes for very interesting reading, along with some great photographs of the development of all of the KEF speakers.
    I've got this and if you have any love for KEF, or in fact just a love for speaker history in general, then you'll probably enjoy it. Loads of details both technical and anecdotal- amusing stuff too at times.

I'm Rohan.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    My Favourite speakers of all time were the kef r107 top of the line. I loved them but sold them when moving to Spain. Saw a pair for sale a year back with refoam (the design led to bass driver sag)and should have pulled the gun.

They're the one pair of speakers I have always wanted to hear, but never get to. Thought I was really in with a chance of getting a pair recently but got beaten to the punch.
    I'd love to hear your impressions of what they did right and wrong - and why they're your all-time fave.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    They're the one pair of speakers I have always wanted to hear, but never get to. Thought I was really in with a chance of getting a pair recently but got beaten to the punch.
    I'd love to hear your impressions of what they did right and wrong - and why they're your all-time fave.
    In a word, controlled bass that went below hearing and was gob smacking in its power, married to a very clean mid and transparent top end with fantastic imaging depth wise. They never never failed to thrill me even with the small output audio innovations first audio monos I mainly used. With Denon poa 660 monos they were frightening, dynamics were amazing. My tannoys are like toys in comparison. I'd have them again in a heart beat but shipping would be a pain. Plus be careful. The two bass drivers suffer from sag on the foams and are knackered after about 10 years. If you get lucky then be prepared to refoam. Crossovers are humungous. Binding posts not the best.

Sigh.
    Adey

Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Rohan.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    In a word, controlled bass that went below hearing and was gob smacking in its power, married to a very clean mid and transparent top end with fantastic imaging depth wise. They never never failed to thrill me even with the small output audio innovations first audio monos I mainly used. With Denon poa 660 monos they were frightening, dynamics were amazing. My tannoys are like toys in comparison. I'd have them again in a heart beat but shipping would be a pain. Plus be careful. The two bass drivers suffer from sag on the foams and are knackered after about 10 years. If you get lucky then be prepared to refoam. Crossovers are humungous. Binding posts not the best.

Sigh.
    Adey

Thanks Adey

Perhaps I shouldn't be thanking you as you've made my craving a little worse.....

+ Reply to Thread