+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Velleman K4040 valve amplifier.

I'm Richard.

Default Velleman K4040 valve amplifier.

This is a clone of the Velleman K4040 90W valve amplifier. https://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?lang=en&id=19149 I made it about 25 years ago, and have updated it since. I was friends with the manager of the Maplin store in Manchester, so I borrowed a kit. photocopied everything, including the pcbs, etched my own, and bought the genuine transformers from Velleman. It has separate PSUs for each channel, Teflon and polypropylene capacitors, Mullard ECC 82 and ECC 83 small signal valves, and Svetlana Winged C EL34s.
    I am clearing out things I haven't used for a while, so it is time for someone else to make use of this.
    It weighs about 25kg, so I don't think I dare post it! The body is aluminium with a satin black Formica top layer. The top and front of the back section are smoked laminated glass, and I put green LEDs under the ECC 83s, just for fun! They can be turned off easliy, and I recently made a protective cage for the valves.
    The kit cost around £700, with Sovtek valves and Maplin's cheap resistors; the Svetlana Winged C EL34s cost about £40 each, if you can find them. Mine came from Watford Valves, so they are genuine. Add the Mullards and that is around £400 in valves alone!
    Any audition welcome, but I have Heybrook HB3s, so not the highest end! Or if you are not too far away I could bring it to you to try.
    It has its own MDF box for travelling, but at my age I struggle to get it down from the loft, so better photos will have wait until my wrists recover from my last episode.
    I am asking £500. And I am in Plymouth.

More pictures added. All the PSU caps have been replaced; new ones are much smaller than the old Spragues for the same specs. DC supply to the ECC82. Humbucker pots on the main boards. Ground lift switch on the back panel. Spare ECC 82 and ECC83s. Several spare Teonex EL34s, and one Winged C. Faraday cage around the ECC82, removed for the photo. Ceramic valve bases with gold plated sockets.

Last edited by awkwardbydesign; 20-02-2020 at 21:22.
    ABD.

I'm Richard.

SOLD.
    ABD.

+ Reply to Thread