+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Little buggers

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    A shotgun is rather effective against rats. The only snag is the devastated woodwork and plaster.
    I got one in next door's garden a couple of years ago with my air rifle. I think I hit it in the arse, and even though the rifle (Weirhauch) has the maximum legal clout, the rat just jumped vertically about 2 feet before running under the greenhouse. Tough little buggers they are.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

When I lived in Malawi I had a problem with rats from the adjacent fields. This one evaded capture until it unwisely decided to chew into a mains cable. Quite the explosion!

Malawi Rat (2).jpg

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    the rifle (Weirhauch) has the maximum legal clout
    They say that, but I had the Weirauch HW35 and found the BSA Mercury noticeably more powerful.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    They say that, but I had the Weirauch HW35 and found the BSA Mercury noticeably more powerful.
    Mine is a HW97K carbine length underlever, which wasn't cheap but has more clout than my BSA Gold Star, which itself has quite a bit of clout. it really is death on a stick, at 11.6 ft/lbs. I think it'll send its .22 pellets about 700fps. I think a 1910 Colt .45 (I think that's what they're called) does about 800fps, although their slugs are a big old thing.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    When I lived in Malawi I had a problem with rats from the adjacent fields. This one evaded capture until it unwisely decided to chew into a mains cable. Quite the explosion!

Malawi Rat (2).jpg
    What color cable ? from my observations when i had issues with mice, they always preferred black, but never seemed to go near white cables. Safety measures for those reading are to always have power points connected to a suitable sized circuit breaker , so it disconnects power quickly, rather than having any opportunity of starting a electrical fire.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    What color cable ? from my observations when i had issues with mice, they always preferred black, but never seemed to go near white cables. Safety measures for those reading are to always have power points connected to a suitable sized circuit breaker , so it disconnects power quickly, rather than having any opportunity of starting a electrical fire.
    It was a black heavy duty mains cable. It had taken a few chunks out of it before it hit the metal. Yes, circuit breakers are a good idea and my house here in the UK has ELCB's. However, this was Malawi. Getting any power was rather hit and miss with frequent power outs for long periods. I suspect with all the power surges and voltage swings that ELCB's would be constantly triggered.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The power supplies in Cameroon are also a bit hit and miss. It has been known for blackouts to last for five days! Some people have an UPS backup generator.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The power supplies in Cameroon are also a bit hit and miss. It has been known for blackouts to last for five days! Some people have an UPS backup generator.
    I have lived in many countries with erratic power supplies. For a couple of years I lived in Cao Bang in Northern Vietnam close to the Chinese border. Due to rapid development, electricity demand often outstripped supply and the power could go out for several days. Annoyingly, it seemed to happen most at the weekend. I ended up by buying several 12v SLA motorcycle batteries in the local market and kept them trickle charged for power outages. Fortunately I had a good quality tripath amp and a pair of highly efficient single driver Omega floorstanding speakers. Using my phone, tablet and music walkman I was able to enjoy music for several days without mains power.

In Bangladesh, my apartment had a large (fridge size) battery backup that fed the lights and a couple of mains sockets in the lounge. Unfortunately, it was not able to keep the ac going so that in the monsoon season the apartment would rapidly become like a sauna when the power went out.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Did you use an inverter to convert 240V DC to AC?

A frequent problem in Cameroon is voltage variation: often as much as 50V or more. Sensitive items such as TVs are fed from a mains conditioner.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Did you use an inverter to convert 240V DC to AC?

A frequent problem in Cameroon is voltage variation: often as much as 50V or more. Sensitive items such as TVs are fed from a mains conditioner.
    In Bangladesh, the battery was part of a complete system and maintained by the British High Commission (I was running a project for DFID there). I do recall that they sent out a couple of guys at least once a month to make sure the unit was functioning properly and to top up the fluids. I know that it supplied 220v ac at the connected wall sockets.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567