Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
The smell is very unpleasant but that attracts flies and bluebottles, who lay eggs and then you have a plague of flies and bluebottles..
Indeed - I think we may have had that as an issue in a loft last year and maybe the year before also.

Sorry to hear about nonuffin's rat issue. That sounds a real pain. Is it in the house, or does it come in from outside? If it goes into the conservatory, is there any way you could keep it there until you find something to deal with it. Maybe construct a "rat flap". I think some dogs might do the job if you can contain it in a known area which is accessible to dogs.

If it's wandering around more or less freely inside the house, then you will need to find a way to deal with that. Are there any bait traps which would work, and keep the wretched thing inside? I think that does need to be done quite urgently - so good luck with that.

I didn't see any new bodies (mice) in the loft a couple of days ago - though I didn't check loft #2 (or 1 depending on numbering scheme!).