+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: My Garrard 301 journey... almost there.

I'm mark.

No worries comparing with a Linn, I took my old greaser to Kegworth last year. Had an Accurate level deck next to it and they were toe to toe. Just a decision which flavour you preferred

Calling it a Garrard is a bit of disservice to Ray, shouldn't it be CTC Classic 301? Only bit thats Garrard is the 401 motor

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Another vote for the LDA supply, it's a great bit of kit.

The TT looks great, and with that arm should sounds fabulous. I have a NOS 401 in storage that I must sort out sometime- have a Sumiko The Arm to put on it, should be a decent sounding combo.
    Oh great. I doubt you would have to do much to get her going. A regrease of linkages and fresh bearing oil/grease and a good dust and you’ll be off I reckon. Or worst case send it to ray for a peace of mind service and it will be good for another 50 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    That looks fabulous and will undoubtedly trounce your LP12.

I went from an LP12 to a modded Lenco, then to a 401, then to an SP-10 MkII, then finally (?) to a G99, which is where I'm sticking. The idlers came out top every time I haven't owned a 301 but the 401's bass and emotional connection to the music were jaw dropping, I'm sure you'll be well pleased with it.

Great work !
    Yes that’s what seems to be the general consensus with regards to the sound as well as great dynamics which I also like.

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    The Reed is superb - enjoy.

Sent from my Aquaris X Pro using Tapatalk
    Cheers, I can tell it in a completely different league to anything I’ve had before just from looking at it and feeling it in my hands. Beautiful engineering and really well thought out and looks a doddle to set up and use

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveDeepDog View Post
    No worries comparing with a Linn, I took my old greaser to Kegworth last year. Had an Accurate level deck next to it and they were toe to toe. Just a decision which flavour you preferred

Calling it a Garrard is a bit of disservice to Ray, shouldn't it be CTC Classic 301? Only bit thats Garrard is the 401 motor
    Yeah my linn was fairly high spec,a bit better than accurate to my ears , so I’m guessing the new arm and plinth will be the main improvement here that take the 301 to the next level.

Yeah your probably right about naming it a CTC 301 but technically Ray uses some parts that aren’t his aswell and builds on Garrards design so I’m not going to get bogged down with the politics. Its only a turntable at the end of the day

I'm Adrian.

Treat it well and it will reward you way beyond your expectations. I loved mine.

Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Karl.

So I’ve just been dealt the blow that my Woodsong plinth will not be ready until mid-end April now. The initial date I was given upon ordering it last year was the middle to end of January. Ive been messaging every few weeks since November to see how the progress is going and every time the date keeps getting pushed back. Is it just my experience or is this a common theme with these artisanal TT companies? Its really frustrating because I sold my linn end of December thinking I would only have to wait a few weeks without a spinner but now it’s going to be three months over the initial estimated completion date and I’ve already given my deposit and parts have been started so I can’t get one elsewhere as I will likely lose my money.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    So I’ve just been dealt the blow that my Woodsong plinth will not be ready until mid-end April now. The initial date I was given upon ordering it last year was the middle to end of January. Ive been messaging every few weeks since November to see how the progress is going and every time the date keeps getting pushed back. Is it just my experience or is this a common theme with these artisanal TT companies? Its really frustrating because I sold my linn end of December thinking I would only have to wait a few weeks without a spinner but now it’s going to be three months over the initial estimated completion date and I’ve already given my deposit and parts have been started so I can’t get one elsewhere as I will likely lose my money.

I had the same problem. Took 200 of my cash as deposit and kept pushing back the date again and again until I just gave up and kissed the money goodbye. I'm not saying that's your situation but you need to be on them constantly. There's no excuse really - if they're that inundated with work employ someone.

Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Andre.

I would personally ger very shirty with them & demand a refund based on the Date you were promised.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    I would personally ger very shirty with them & demand a refund based on the Date you were promised.
    Not an easy thing - bigman wants his plinth and in the shortest time, starting over again won't be a pleasant thought.

Bigman, don't you have a plinth you can make do with in the interim?

I've still got my 30kg sp10 plinth stashed just in case I ever go down that lovely rabbit hole again.

Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps