+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My Garrard 301 journey... almost there.

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    Looking good, Karl. Will be nice to see all of your gear sitting on it! Well done! Hope all is well with you down under!
    Thanks mate all good here. Like everyone, trying to make the best of a bad situation. Hope your well too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Karl.

Hmmm which finish to go for? I’m thinking 3 at the moment it’s nice and deep and will look classy under the piano laquer

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm James.

Hi Karl,

A few twists and turns to your 301 project I see. I used to run a 301 with my Croft amps many years back in the early 1980s before they became popular but you would have laughed at my set up. Glenn recommended the 301 with a Tom Fletcher tonearm and Decca blue I think was the set up. I did not have a plinth at all but suspended the 301 in a metal wall mount with the motor dangling above my head as I had it in my bedroom at the time and it was quite small.

Your project is going to result in something far nicer. Looking forward to your final result and let us know how it all sounds. I should imagine it will be a fair bit different to the LP12.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi Karl,

A few twists and turns to your 301 project I see. I used to run a 301 with my Croft amps many years back in the early 1980s before they became popular but you would have laughed at my set up. Glenn recommended the 301 with a Tom Fletcher tonearm and Decca blue I think was the set up. I did not have a plinth at all but suspended the 301 in a metal wall mount with the motor dangling above my head as I had it in my bedroom at the time and it was quite small.

Your project is going to result in something far nicer. Looking forward to your final result and let us know how it all sounds. I should imagine it will be a fair bit different to the LP12.
    Hi Jim,

Yeah a few ups and downs unfortunately mate but we’re almost there now. the plinth is going in for the piano laquer on Monday so not too long to wait now until I can get it over the line. I’m hoping two weeks.

Ive tried to make this one an end game TT to try and curb my constant need for more. I sometimes think it would be cheaper being a drug addict than a hifi nerd ha.

Not sure if you read the whole blog but this one is a full bells n whistles jobby. Only original part left on the TT is the Garrard motor. Ray has designed and improved upon most of the other bits including the solid chassis, bearing, platter,idler etc.

The plinth has panzerholz on the top ,middle and bottom layer, then mahogany and ply on the alternating ones for acoustic isolation and we’ve come up with a plan to use stainless glass fasteners and rubber discs to fully isolate the articulating panzerholz armboards. Then top quality track audio feet and a fully analogue power supply for the lowest distortion to finish the job . This should all be a lovely base for the Reed arm which needs no introduction.

If I had the choice of sharing my bedroom with my missus or your lovely little Garrard setup , I know which one I would choose mate , haha. I bet that was a really sweet sounding setup?

Cheers

Karl

I'm James.

Back when I had a 301 the plinth was really almost an after thought, there was really not much consideration for a quality, isolated plinth then as retro turntables had gone out of fashion and out of the window with the advent of CD!

Your reworked 301 looks magnificent and is a real beauty Karl. That should be an end game turntable indeed and I am sure when its all finished with the Reed tonearm installed you are going to have a wonderful system.

Cheers

Jim
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Back when I had a 301 the plinth was really almost an after thought, there was really not much consideration for a quality, isolated plinth then as retro turntables had gone out of fashion and out of the window with the advent of CD!

Your reworked 301 looks magnificent and is a real beauty Karl. That should be an end game turntable indeed and I am sure when its all finished with the Reed tonearm installed you are going to have a wonderful system.

Cheers

Jim
    +1 Beautiful !
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    +1 Beautiful !
    Cheers mate. Wait until you see the plinth. It’s a serious work of art . The figuring in the kewasinga veneer is holographic so the grains pop out as you move around the plinth ... really mad to see. Just waiting on the piano laquer to dry before final polish then I can get some pics up

I'm Karl.

Default My Garrard 301 journey... almost there.

So guys , the plinth is finally ready , just waiting for the Furutech plug to arrive then it can be shipped over. Fingers crossed I can show you the finished result next weekend. As you can see Russ has done an amazing job . The camera/light doesn’t do the grain it’s full justice. It really is 3dimensional and holographic in a video he sent me when it wasn’t quite finished . When it arrives I will give you a full 360 video of it so you can see the way the figuring dances in the light.

It’s has three layers of panzerholz, top middle and bottom . The inbetween layers are mahogany and ply to keep cost and weight down and supposedly best using different material for constrain layering and acoustic isolation. It’s wrapped in a highly figured kewasinga waterfall bubinga veneer and stained ruby red. Everything bonded with epoxy. Then it’s all covered by in high gloss finish and polished like glass.
    The armboards are also panzerholz with an ebony veneer. I will likely get some solid metal ones made up in the future (when I’m not so skint) . The armboards have their own isolation in the form of stainless fasteners with rubber along the bolt threads , rubber discs between the plinth and armboard , and between the armboard and fastener to fully isolate. these fix into threaded inserts in the plinth.

Finally feels amazing to get it over the line after getting effed about. Hope you like it as much as I do?

Cheers

Karl

I'm Keith.

Man that is stunning. Beautifully done

I'm Robert.

Wow !! Beautiful and exotic finish Karl - looks luxury
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast