+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: My Garrard 301 journey... almost there.

I'm Brian.

My word , that's a gorgeous system Karl . Made even more special because you played a very big part in building it . It must give you great pride and pleasure in equal measure

How does the Neurochrome compare to the Croft monoblocks Karl ?
    Last edited by brian2957; 24-01-2021 at 12:44.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    My word , that's a gorgeous system Karl . Made even more special because you played a very big part in building it . It must give you great pride and pleasure in equal measure

How does the Neurochrome compare to the Croft monoblocks Karl ?
    Thanks Brian ,

Yeah it really does give a great sense of achievement.

I didn’t want it to lull me into a false sense of sounding better than it actually does because I made it and was attached to it in a different way than usual, but the simple matter is that it is a better amplifier than the 7Rs .

It is a narrower soundstage but apart from that there is more detail, dynamics , transparency and that warm valve haze that was around the Croft sound has gone which lets more info through. It has plenty of air and space but precision aswell . Don’t get me wrong the Croft are amazing too but this is definitely slightly better .

I need to upgrade my preamp now though as the 25R is holding back the 686 potential a little bit . I should have been running a 25RS or RSLS with the monos but the price of the upgrade (1500) put me off a little bit .

I’ve got another preamp ordered though so shouldn’t be long before I really hear what it’s capable of .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post

I’ve got another preamp ordered though so shouldn’t be long before I really hear what it’s capable of .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pray tell Karl . . . . I'm very interested to hear what you have shot for . . . I'm guessing some kind of Bigbottle build or maybe a matching Neurochrome of some description?!?! (I suspect I'll have to wait for it to pop up on here though!).

I had planned to partner my 686 with a Neurochrome pre but I'm so happy with how my (highly modified) Musical Paradise MP-701 sounds with the combination, I just know I'd be well into four figures to do better . . . which brings us to the aforementioned pre's . . .

System looking and I'm sure sounding great mate.

One day I will be dual mono'ing my 686 as it will definitely yield improvement but for now I'm just in awe of it how it is.

Cheers
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516