+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Garrard 301 journey... almost there.

I'm Karl.

Default My Garrard 301 journey... almost there.

Hi guys and gals,

Ive been lurking in the shadows for sometime now whilst I put together my first idler TT.

I started the journey last July/august time when I started to brainstorm and research what I wanted with regards to looks and specs and have nibbled away at it as and when funds have allowed.

I’m getting pretty close to completion now so I thought I would share a few pics of what I have cobbled together.

People around me think I’m bloody bonkers having only just finished a pretty high spec LP12 which was stunning in all aspects, but , with the nature of this hobby , its always digging its claws in and I fancied a change, for better or worse.

Ive always been drawn to the vintage look (in all aspects of life not only hifi) and had been wondering how to take the style of yesteryear and build on its strengths and give a modern performance. So after speaking to a few people about its pros and cons i decided on a 301 as it sounded up my street.

A few names and parts kept coming up with regards to improving on the original .... audio silente idler wheel , Woodsongs eddy disc, various aftermarket bearings and platters upgrades, thicker aluminum chassis ,and so on.

After speaking to Ray at CTC , it seemed that his classic 301 incorporated all of the above but I wasn’t sure wether they made any differences so I decided to hunt around and speak to a few people online who had experience with both and overwhelmingly they said that the CTC 301 was an improvement on a standard 301 offering a touch more detail and 3D sound, so I decided to take the plunge and put my order in. It arrived this week and I have to say Ray has done a stunning job and was very happy to customise it for me in metallic black and do a polished platter as opposed to his standard all gloss black scheme.

After seeing all the rave reviews I decided that I had to get a Tenuto mat as they are one of the rare hifi products that doesn’t get a bad word said about it. So that’s what I did
    Next I set my sights on a new arm as I knew the roksan I had probably wasn’t quite right so I found an ex display Reed arm. I liked the sound of the 10.5 inch as it was a good compromise between the speed of 9 inch and tracking error of a 12 inch and the price was great so I pulled the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bigbird; 19-02-2020 at 11:29.
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Karl.

I wanted a nice clamp but couldn’t find one anywhere so I decided to design my own . I sent the crude drawings to SPH (Sien the famous bearing maker) and he got me one knocked up in solid brass . After a good polish and seal it came up lovely

Last edited by Bigbird; 19-02-2020 at 11:30.
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Adam.

excellent Karl, i'm sure it will tick all your expectations sonically.
    looks lovely, Ray does as great job.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Andre.

Nice

I do prefer the '401' but the cheap plastic Control panel & Horrid DJ style strobe platter is a no no. The '301' looks better in those respects, But no way on earth would i switch from a Modern motor TT like your Linn to one of these.

I'm Karl.

Next up a set sights on a plinth but unfortunately the money had dried up so I knew I had to offload the Linn before moving forward. Thankfully the little beauty sold itself in the blink of an eye so I got to work. As a bonus it has stayed in the family so I can go listen to it whenever I like. Result!
    I couldnt get hold of Russ collinson who built my last plinth. He was apparently very busy with work and his private life so I contacted Chris Harban about one of his twin arm compact plinths. Not only do they look stunning but I liked the ideas behind its construction and materials so I put the order in. Unfortunately he to was very busy running up to Xmas so he is still putting together the plinth for me. It is almost there though so only a couple of weeks to wait now. This is the style I have gone for although a different veneer. I will likely go for an Audiomods 6 as my second arm.

I have bought some Track Audio isolation feet for the plinth. Again the engineering and design behind these is superb and the finish is impeccable.

Next up I will be setting my sights on a power supply . I will add more pics to the page as I when I put it together .

If anybody has any thoughts or experience on some of the parts I’ve used then feel free to comment below.

Cheers

Karl

Last edited by Bigbird; 19-02-2020 at 11:08.

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Nice

I do prefer the '401' but the cheap plastic Control panel & Horrid DJ style strobe platter is a no no. The '301' looks better in those respects, But no way on earth would i switch from a Modern motor TT like your Linn to one of these.
    I too was worried about the motor aspect but i have to say this 301 is VERY quiet indeed. Wether it’s the new motor bearings or the other new parts, or a combination of both, I’m pretty confident that by time it’s encased in the plinth and a decent power supply is strapped on, it will be almost silent .

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    excellent Karl, i'm sure it will tick all your expectations sonically.
    looks lovely, Ray does as great job.
    Thanks mate, It’s certainly met them visually, and Ray has been first class with his help and advice all the way through. I’m surprised at how quiet it is as I expected more noise from the idler.

Last edited by Bigbird; 19-02-2020 at 11:25.

I'm Martin.

Very, very nice, is that the ex-dem arm that Hugo had for sale?

I also have the very same weight from SPH on my Lenco although I went for copper, didn't realise it was your design so thanks!!!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    Thanks mate, It’s certainly met them visually, and Ray has been first class with his help and advice all the way through. I’m surprised how just how quiet it is as I expected more noise from the idler.

You shouldn't have notable noise with a well serviced unit.

I certainly wouldn't listen to anyone casting doubt on switching from the Linn Sondek LP12 to a well serviced Idler drive TT, I personally have never looked back. The simple connection you get with your music from a good idler, for me, far far out weighs what the LP12 offers, even a pimped one. I know, I had one and sunk a lot of money into the Linn upgrade path!

I'd go for an external 3rd party PSU for the Garrad.
    The LongDog Audio Re-Generator Quartz Locked Speed/Power Supply is a very worth wile investment.

Your Reed is a lovely arm too.. well done!
    I recently heard the very top of the tree limited edition version of the Reed 5T tonearm at Unique Audio, both visually and sonically very impressive!

Enjoy!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty38 View Post
    Very, very nice, is that the ex-dem arm that Hugo had for sale?

I also have the very same weight from SPH on my Lenco although I went for copper, didn't realise it was your design so thanks!!!
    Thankyou. No I didn’t get it from Hugo I got it from Chameleon audio. Nikos is a nice chap.

Yes Sien told me he had sold a few more via lenco. I wound him up about using my copyright .ha! No skin off my nose mate hope it works well for you ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast