+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: My Garrard 301 journey... almost there.

I'm Andre.

Those sharp edges look very accident chip prone

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Those sharp edges look very accident chip prone
    Well I don’t plan on dropping anything on it so the thick cut veneer should be just fine sitting on a shelf out the way of any traffic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Karl.

Ok so I’m in talks with Russ now so hopefully he will be my knight in shining armour

CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Andre.

That is good cos i have a distinct feeling your mighty pissed off

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    That is good cos i have a distinct feeling your mighty pissed off
    I was to begin with as people shouldn’t be giving false promises when your paying them a few thousand dollars to make something for you. Ive got over it now. Pointless letting it ruin a nice little project. He’s lost a customer now and potentially a few more aswell as I have several thousand people who follow my TT page on my Instagram (for some reason)where I update my progress . Oh well onwards and upwards as they say.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    I was to begin with as people shouldn’t be giving false promises when your paying them a few thousand dollars to make something for you. Ive got over it now. Pointless letting it ruin a nice little project. He’s lost a customer now and potentially a few more aswell as I have several thousand people who follow my TT page on my Instagram (for some reason)where I update my progress . Oh well onwards and upwards as they say.

So to understand... you’ve pulled out of Chris at Woodsong and are now on board with Russ (layers of beauty)?
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    So to understand... you’ve pulled out of Chris at Woodsong and are now on board with Russ (layers of beauty)?
    Yes , chris offered me a refund as he can’t even guarantee April/May time so that is what I have asked for.

Ive now exchanged a few emails with Russ and we just need to confirm a few details and he will start within a few days and be done in a matter of weeks.

He made my last plinth which was great so I know his quality

I'm steve.

What’s your Instagram name?

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer69 View Post
    What’s your Instagram name?
    Hi it’s my_revolvers

I'm Adam.

Interesting to see how this all pans out.

I've heard several 301's in various plinths and they all sound very very different.

It would seem the plinth construction and material has a very large impact on the overall presentation of the 301.
    That maybe an obvious conclusion, but it really is very apparent when hearing the differences. A hard choice to place an order on a plinth effectively blind, as they all have their 'sound'. I heard a Bob C plinth and it was night and day with a couple of other options that were also side by side comparisons. It was a valuable lesson for me personally not to get too enticed with looks and finishes and to understand how the plinths are constructed.

I know Bob C incorporates an isolated arm pod within the structure of the plinth. This is fundamental in his 'sound'. He also totally decouples the Motor unit, also fundamental.
    Matt at Audio Grail uses Bob C for all his Garrad 301's for this very reason..

You may want to ask Russ about what he did for Tom formerly of this parish (Montesquieu)

Tom went to Russ with a plinth design (for his Thorens 124 Mk2, which is widely, wrongly, perceived as not plinth Fussy) based around a core material of similar to Panzerholst. This was after Tom having had several of Russ Collinson's regular plinth designs over the years. Tom's gamble paid off as it sounds incredible.

IMHO, If I were in your shoes now, I'd explore the base Core material options prior to committing to the next plinth...and also construction techniques.
    You are spending a fair bit on this project and IMHO the plinth construction is the most critical element (although it all has an impact of course!)

I wouldn't rush into it for sake of just getting the TT in your system and it looking nice.

Maybe a cheapo stop gap TT is in order, to keep the music spinning whilst you get the optimal 301 plinth possible for your budget..

In the long run it will be worth while..

Just my 2p worth
    Last edited by WESTLOWER; 26-02-2020 at 09:55.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast