+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern MM Cartridge on old Amplifier

I'm Paul.

Wasn't trying to find out what they sound like, I was just wondering what the effect would be if such a mismatch was tried out. Thats all, like i said just wondering
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Andre.

Has the 'TD160' got the original 'TP-16' Arm?

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I would have thought it'd simply be a case of trying a cartridge, and if you like the sound, great. And if you don't, try something else. But what do I know, I'm hoping someone with better ears than me at Kegworth will be able to tell me whether my 2M black could be set up better
    Come and see me in the Lockington big system room, I will be bringing my Avid protractor and other setup tools so happy to spend some time checking your setup and possibly tweaking as required.

I'm Steve.

Thanks John, that's a very kind offer, and I will certainly take you up on that. I will be calling round there anyway for a listen and a hello
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    Wasn't trying to find out what they sound like, I was just wondering what the effect would be if such a mismatch was tried out. Thats all, like i said just wondering
    ....The performance of this cart is very set up dependant, as in it needs to be spot on. Also, likes a slightly negative rake, (tail down) in my experience.

Fabulous cart once you've set up properly and nailed the sweet-spot - you'll know....
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12