+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hama record clamp upgrade.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hama record clamp upgrade.

Just bought a Hama record clamp from hmv for £9.99. Always a bit sceptical re clamps and weights. I always felt weights somehow took some of the life out of a recording.

Anyway I stuck the Hama on my Thorens td309 playing Florence and the Machine to hear if any improvements.
    Unbelievably on a quick A/B listen there were obvious improvements at the top end. Less apparent smear. At the other end the bass is deeper which I find a little bit more difficult to understand.

When I first noticed the clamp in hmv I thought it looked pretty nasty. However, it's a bit cleverer than I appreciated with a nice rubber like base and an excellent grip of the spindle and positive pressure on the record. Takes a bit of a push to fit but comes away easily.

At £9.99 I can hardly believe it!

And I have nothing to do with Hama or hmv.

5mm achromat next!

Cheers

Kev
    Kev.

I'm Rob.

Hmmm. That looks interesting. It's for sale on line. Got to be worth a punt.

Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

5mm Achromat now on. I still think the Hama has given the most noticeable improvement. The Achromat may take time to appreciate whereas I believe I could hear larger, immediate improvements with the Hama clamp.

First impressions with the Achromat is better separation between instruments within the soundstage. An example of this are the first few bars in Florence and the Machine Lungs album where the Achromat placed the notes much further to the left of the stage. Again, not really sure why this should be - maybe just the instrument separation with less smear between notes.

Listening to Sheryl Crow Threads album and the voices are now placed wholly in their own space rather than clumped together.

Conclusion for me is that Hama clamp plus Achromat is a great, cost effective upgrade for my glass plattered 309.

;-)
    Last edited by scotty67; 19-02-2020 at 11:24.
    Kev.

Had a chance to listen to some records I've had for 30 odd years and some newer Taylor Swift would you believe.

I can now confirm the soundstage with Achromat fitted is considerably bigger and with space between performers. Bass is also much improved in terms of depth and lack of bloat. I think it's the lack of smear and absorption in the mat doing it's thang!

Really quite excellent results overall. It's like a turntable upgrade without the cost!
    Kev.

I'm Ati.

You have just entered in the field that can swallows you easily.
    Audiotechnica, Sony and Kenwood has some extremely well thought Ceramic turntable mats.
    I have the Kenwood mat. It has Alumnia-Ceramic-Sapphire crystals blended into one and called Open Pore Ceramic mat. Can absorb high amount of vibration and won't add any character to the sound signature. Greater separation and deeper bass, cleaner mids, highs and wider sound stage in every directions. I Call it purifier. They are affordable.
    A VTA must have on turntable when people are experimenting with these. They all have different thickness depend on manufacturer.
    I am experimenting with CU (copper) mat as well. Pricey stuff.
    Japanese were making some interesting mats back in 80's.

I'm Steve.

Re. Achromat 5mm: Would effectively raising the height of the record by a few mm not alter the vertical angle of the tonearm to an audible degree? Apologies if it sounds stupid, but it is a serious question!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Re. Achromat 5mm: Would effectively raising the height of the record by a few mm not alter the vertical angle of the tonearm to an audible degree? Apologies if it sounds stupid, but it is a serious question!
    Yes indeed, my Thorens td309 allows easy raising of the tp92 tonearm to compensate which I have adjusted accordingly. These are lovely tonearms btw.
    Kev.

I'm Grant.

It will potentially alter it yes. Whether you hear it will depend. If you've a keen ear then yes.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

I would probably be ok then with my cloth ears. My turntable is supplied sans mat, and they recommend it stays that way. I don't get why something that works for one deck wouldn't necessarily work with another though. All I can think is that the differences come from, for example a mat, reducing a sound artefact from say, the motor or airborne vibrations, whereas another deck may not have so much of a problem to start with, so the improvements from the mat are less.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I would probably be ok then with my cloth ears. My turntable is supplied sans mat, and they recommend it stays that way. I don't get why something that works for one deck wouldn't necessarily work with another though. All I can think is that the differences come from, for example a mat, reducing a sound artefact from say, the motor or airborne vibrations, whereas another deck may not have so much of a problem to start with, so the improvements from the mat are less.
    They (Funk Firm) recommend 3mm for Rega turntables that don't have vta adjustment but 5mm for most is the way to go. I think the Achromat works best with glass platters although I dare say experimentation with other platters could prove interesting. I think Funk does a money back option so no harm in trying.
    Kev.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast