+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hama record clamp upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I would probably be ok then with my cloth ears. My turntable is supplied sans mat, and they recommend it stays that way. I don't get why something that works for one deck wouldn't necessarily work with another though. All I can think is that the differences come from, for example a mat, reducing a sound artefact from say, the motor or airborne vibrations, whereas another deck may not have so much of a problem to start with, so the improvements from the mat are less.
    They (Funk Firm) recommend 3mm for Rega turntables that don't have vta adjustment but 5mm for most is the way to go. I think the Achromat works best with glass platters although I dare say experimentation with other platters could prove interesting. I think Funk does a money back option so no harm in trying.
    Kev.

I'm Rob.

My Hama record clamp arrived today (with a record I <cough>had</cough> to buy to take the cost over the free postage threshold.

Once on it works well. It works by clamping the spindle rather than by weight. It's actually quite light, which I like ... but:

It takes too much downward pressure to put on, on my LP12, and I can't apply it while the disk is spinning as that results in a lot of complaining noises from the belt.

So I think it may well be a very good solution for unsprung decks, especially direct drive ones, but not for sprung belt drive decks.

Thanks Kev (scotty67) for the heads up. Definitely worth the punt.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
    My Hama record clamp arrived today (with a record I <cough>had</cough> to buy to take the cost over the free postage threshold.

Once on it works well. It works by clamping the spindle rather than by weight. It's actually quite light, which I like ... but:

It takes too much downward pressure to put on, on my LP12, and I can't apply it while the disk is spinning as that results in a lot of complaining noises from the belt.

So I think it may well be a very good solution for unsprung decks, especially direct drive ones, but not for sprung belt drive decks.

Thanks Kev (scotty67) for the heads up. Definitely worth the punt.
    I always stop my deck before clamping and therefore have no belt issues. I know many don't like to start/stop so may be a deal breaker.

My Thorens is sprung and while it does indeed take a bit of force to fit it's probably just the same as most clamping devices and less harmful than a heavy weight?

I'm giving it to a friend to try on his Rega P2 so will be interesting to hear how he finds it.
    Kev.

I'm Mike.

I use one of these Vinyl Styl clamps, just under £4 off Amazon and it works well on my deck, i'm of the opinion that if your deck wasn't designed to use a weight then a simple lightweight clamp is the way to go and for less than a fiver it's got to be worth a punt.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Martin.

Congratulations on your result, its very satisfying wringing noticeable performance gain out of your existing components and it often doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback when using clamp on Rega P2, Ortofon Red and Edwards Audio Apprentice phono stage. My pal struggled to hear any difference with and without clamp! He thought there was slightly better separation.

He wondered whether on lower end systems differences are more difficult to discern.

He still thinks he'll buy one:-)
    Kev.

I'm Neds.

My clamp is one that Richer Sounds used to give away as a promo. It’s plastic, with a rubber centre that pushes down over the spindle. Presses out warps a treat. Never failed or perished and I must have had it for 25 years or more. Does it sound better? No idea!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12