+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello music lovers.

I'm Barrie.

Default Hello music lovers.

Hi all,

Having fun resurrecting my system and breathing new life into my old speakers. I'm probably
    showing my age but a VERY long time ago I bought an amazing pair of Tandy Optimus Pro LX-5
    speakers and I thought all hope was lost when the foam surrounds just disintegrated making them
    unusable. Then I found out about a drop-in replacement driver by a company called HIVI, so I ordered a
    pair of their 4 inch kevlar drivers and sweet bejesus they sound better than the originals.

My current system is as follows...

Pioneer PD-8700 (purely as transport fed to the SMSL SU-8 DAC via optical)
    Pioneer DV-575A (for SACD / DVD-A playback via the stereo phono output into the SMSL DA-8s amp)
    An Android ZMQC X96Air set-top-box running KODI with an external hard drive with my flacs and DSD files on it feeding
    the SMSL SU-8 via USB.

SMSL SU-8 DAC feeding the amp via XLR cables.

SMSL DA-8s amplifier.

Tandy Optimus LX-5 speakers.

Cambridge Audio Minx X201 subwoofer. Since the amp doesn't have a phono out I had to get "creative", I used
    a Vibe Delta line level to phono box normally used in car audio.

Cables are a mixture of affordable copper. NoBull XLR cables, QED Graphite phono cable, MutecPower speaker cable
    and I think a QED optical cable.

A NOBSOUND power filter, cheap but effective.

Speaker stands and subwoofer are sitting on 400mm square concrete slabs about an inch thick, which have a
    20mm thick granulated rubber mat on top to dampen any vibration from the stands and the slabs sit on 4 tennis
    balls to isolate from the floor.

I am in the process of building an equipment "rack" and am experimenting with materials.

Music tastes.... Everything from 6th century "Chant" to Billie Eilish, all music is food for the soul.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Barrie,

Love the sound of the "NoBull XLR" cables (no pun intended)!

Admirably wide taste in music you have.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

+ Reply to Thread