+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Happy Accident!

I'm Chris.

Default Happy Accident!

Yesterday, after forgetting vinyl was playing (damn these silent stages and clean records!) I bumped into the rack next to my TT causing it to skip horribly and reminding me all too late that there was indeed vinyl in progress . . .

Re-set the stylus to the record . . . oh dear unbalanced (and not so good) sound poured out through my speakers.

Upon inspection I have slightly buggered my Denon DL-304's needle. I always suspected it was not perfectly straight since I bought it but hadn't really bothered me as it fell in line when on the record and it sounds wonderful. Alas neither of those statements could now be said to be true.

After a minute of wallowing in self pity, I pulled myself up off the floor (I did genuinely roll about on the floor in a sort of adult tantrum as if to portray a 'why me why now everything is terrible' outburst) as I remembered I had a cart stored away that could maybe save the day.

Quickly removed the Denon from Ittok III arm (a lot quicker than putting it on!) and within a couple of minutes I had a shiny new Audio Technica OC9 XEN mounted in its place. Nice threads on top of the cart so fitting was a doddle, it lines up perfectly with the squared off edges of the shell incorporated into my arm, it actually looks custom fitted.

Got lucky with the alignment too, minor adjustments later it was spot on.

I was also able to increase tracking weight from 1.2 to 2.0g enabling me to move the counterweight closer to the pivot of the arm (which someone told me was a good thing up to a point) so literally within 20 minutes of all hope being lost I was back up and running again.

Well this thing is completely silent, tracks like a dream and is already sounding as good as the Denon with very low hours on it.

I'm fully aware some pics would be useful to accompany this story so I will duly oblige later.

Would be interested to hear what anyone thinks of the new lineup of the OC9 carts after some break-in time.

Also if anyone wants a super easy swap-in cart for their Ittok's I can thoroughly recommend the AT's, they are top quality. No messing about with nuts/long bolts etc.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Grant.

The Audio Technica OC9 XEN is a good cart.. good your back in action..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I think a few of us have damaged a stylus/cantilever by accident (I know I have - and the cartridge was not even mine! ). But after kicking yourself, you pull yourself together and fit another cartridge (perhaps a long forgotten one in the spares box), often to find the 'new' one is better.

Anyway, glad to hear you are now up and running Chris.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I think a few of us have damaged a stylus/cantilever by accident (I know I have - and the cartridge was not even mine! ). But after kicking yourself, you pull yourself together and fit another cartridge (perhaps a long forgotten one in the spares box), often to find the 'new' one is better.
    Many years ago, when I played vinyl more, and really worried about these things, we arranged a children’s party. One little monster found my turntable and happily flicked the stylus on the cartridge I had at the time back and forwards a few times. I did bend it back, and it still worked after a fashion, but that was probably £20 written off in days when £20 could actually buy something worthwhile.

I could make some sexist comment at this point, but I won’t. Suffice to say that trying to explain what the little darling had just done, though not to him or his parents, fell on deaf ears.

One gets over these concerns - eventually!
    Dave

I'm Dennis.

I had a 304 and damaged it in the Linn velvet, offsetting it a little. Had it for a few years like that and have just fitted a new on (costing £500), but not levelled it or played it yet, still bothered about my new speakers' sound, but I do like the 304 very much
    Some years ago I had an OC9 and found it toppy, and it had a lowish compliance, so I gave it away.

I'm Chris.

Thanks chaps, appreciate the support for getting back on the wagon so quickly!

Here is a little pic of the cart on the arm. Sorry its not a great pic, will get some better ones up soon. This just shows how nicely the cart fills the headshell on the Ittok. Also the Linn and Audio Technica logo's have a nice synergy between them I think . . . which was nice.

- Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I had a 304 and damaged it in the Linn velvet, offsetting it a little. Had it for a few years like that and have just fitted a new on (costing £500), but not levelled it or played it yet, still bothered about my new speakers' sound, but I do like the 304 very much
    Some years ago I had an OC9 and found it toppy, and it had a lowish compliance, so I gave it away.
    The 304 definitely has a special sound I concur. I think the new line of OC9's are supposed to be a little more relaxed than prior examples. No less detailed but like all things its system dependent. I'm much more of a fan of pairing "dark" components with "bright" speakers or vice versa, rather than having all "neutral" ones in the chain. I believe this gives a more organic and musical sound.

Having said that though this cart appears to be very neutral so far not drawing attention to itself, just sounding good throughout the spectrum. Happy days.

I'm Geoff.

OC9 are great cartridges, IME, and would be significantly more expensive if made by one of the boutique brands.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

+ Reply to Thread