+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B&W Nautilus

I'm Shane.

Default B&W Nautilus

I used to lust after these many years ago. The design looks timeless! Yes, I'm talking about the ones that are shaped like a snail shell. Not the 'trickle down' 800 series.

Anyone here heard them?

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998_mk2 View Post
    I used to lust after these many years ago. The design looks timeless! Yes, I'm talking about the ones that are shaped like a snail shell. Not the 'trickle down' 800 series.

Anyone here heard them?

S.
    No but read reviews, and they are described as metallic sounding, (all metal drivers IIRC), lovely industrial design though.

I'm Simon.

I had a good look at a pair at the show in Ireland a few months ago, they are a work of art. Unfortunately B&W weren't playing them as they had a driver issue. But they did replace the driver and leave them with Cloney Audio in Dublin for a month or 2.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

I'm Justin.

Ken Ishiwata was using them when I spoke to him at Silverstone a few years ago.

Can't be that bad.

I'm Dave.

Yes, I've used them and even had a pair in the window of my shop. They weren't memorable.

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Yes, I've used them and even had a pair in the window of my shop. They weren't memorable.

Did you find the sound unpleasant? Are they mega fussy when it comes to equipment matching?

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The design looks like it was inspired by F. R. Gyger's 'Alien'.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

They do. When I had them in the window, they attracted a lot of interest but no sales.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998_mk2 View Post

Anyone here heard them?

S.
    Yes, on the end of Classe audio sounded awful.
    Regards Neil

I'm Gordon.

Interesting thread this, especially given the age of the Nautilus now.
    Speakers (IMHO) are probably the most subjective component of the system and can invariably be a 'Marmite' piece of kit.
    Anyway, to the issue here: I used to be a B&W customer and always had the (proper) Nautilus on my list to hear (Out of interest only!) whilst I owned an original pair of 802s, but only achieved that desire very recently when I was invited to hear them at an Edinburgh outlet.
    In short, when played within a conventional system of: source / amplifier & speakers they sounded pretty underwhelming...... However, when the system was changed over to encompass a host of "room treatments" (sorry, I cannot elaborate on the specific kit), they did sound absolutely amazing. Night and Day just about explains what was going on! A very interesting experience to say the least.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast