+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copying RPi software between SD cards

I'm Lawrence.

Default Copying RPi software between SD cards

I'm wondering if anyone can help. I've got a pi which came with the picoreplayer/ Squeezelite software already on the card and I want to set up a second pi the same way. I'm not very good at downloading/setting up new software so I'd rather copy the whole contents across from one SD to another. I don't have a keyboard and mouse for the pi, I only use it with the Squeezelite web tool, so I want to copy the files using my Windows 7 laptop.

I plugged the SD card into a USB card reader attached to my laptop but it wouldn't pick up the card, it said I have to format it to recognise the card.

So my question is how do you copy RPi software across from one SD card to another using a W7 laptop? Or alternatively using a "naked" RPi controlled via WiFi with the web browser on my android phone. (I do have an HDMI cable to plug it into my TV but no hardware to plug in to control it, just the USB card reader to add the second SD card. Plus I don't really want to have to code in Linux although I did used to use dos in early PCs so I guess it's similar.)

I'm Neal.

Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Keith.

You use a set of Terminal (or Windows equivalent command line tool) commands, like the ones in the links that @NRG gave. This is how I've made Pi Install copies for backup. It's a bit of a pfaff, but straightforward enough once you get used to it. It can take a while to complete though, depending on the size of your MicroSD card. The backup image can then be installed on the new card as you normally would, using BalanaEtcher or similar.
    Alternatively, you could have a go at setting up a new PiCorePlayer install? It's the best way to really understand how the whole thing works - and if it messes up, you still have the original 'Plan A' to fall back on

I'm Andrew.

Hi Lawrence

Would certainly echo the idea above that a new install of PiCore Player would be best and for you then to just mirror the settings of your original card . BalanaEtcher is a very simple tool to use for this and does a great job .

I f you are still unsure then bring the two SD cards to The Wam Show and I can run you through it there .

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post
    Hi Lawrence

Would certainly echo the idea above that a new install of PiCore Player would be best and for you then to just mirror the settings of your original card . BalanaEtcher is a very simple tool to use for this and does a great job .

I f you are still unsure then bring the two SD cards to The Wam Show and I can run you through it there .
    Thanks Andrew that's really kind and if I can't work it out before then, I'll take you up on the offer.

Thanks everyone else too, I guess a fresh install and configuration is the best option.

I'm Alastair.

PCP is pretty easy and quick to reinstall, especially if you are not doing anything custom like the config.txt settings. It takes less than 15 mins. Just take a note of the squeezelite, wifi (if used) and tweaks on your current SD Card.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Lawrence.

Ah well had a go and fell at the second hurdle. Downloaded the image ok but when I inserted the card reader into the laptop it didn't recognise it had an micro SD card in it, so I couldn't note the new drive letter as the instructions said (as there wasn't one).

Worth noting the SD card I want to use came with the Pi so has Noobs currently installed on it. (Not sure if that has an impact, but if the Windows laptop can't recognise the card because it's already Pi formatted then there's nothing I can do to remove Noobs in the first place, then it's a catch 22 situation.)

Also my laptop doesn't seem to have Win32 Disk Imager as the instructions require. So that's that I guess.

I knew it wouldn't be simple it never is. You need a degree in computing to use file based audio.
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 06-03-2020 at 23:34.

I'm Neal.

? You need to download and install win32diskimager from their website!
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    ? You need to download and install win32diskimager from their website!
    I assumed it was standard Windows install as there was no mention of installing it. Hope it's free!

But would that allow the laptop to recognise the card in the first place, that seems to be a more fundamental problem to me?

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post
    Hi Lawrence

Going to have to try this at home now. I'll download this Balana thingy and see if it helps the laptop recognise the noobs loaded SD card I need install the software on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast